Saturday 9: Brokenhearted (2012)
Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Want to play along? Go HERE
And away we gooooo
1) This song is about a girl who is eager and anxious for her new lover to call. Do you owe anyone a call? An email? A text?
I owe an email to my friend T who is heart broken, but still manages to send me wonderful and interesting sites in emails from time to time. I love her dearly.
2) The lyrics are peppered with the informal English exclamation, "cheerio!" What pops into your head when you close your eyes and think of England?
The first thing that pops into my head is all the villages. Loving the English village, I wish the "village" concept had caught on in San Diego when it was tried. La Jolla is always trying to call itself "The Village". It is beautiful there. Well, there's enough money in that tiny spot to sink a battleship. More power to them!
3) This week's artist, Karmin, is a husband/wife duo who met at college, and that meeting changed the course of their lives and careers. Think of someone who has had a huge impact on your life. Did you know, as soon as you met, that thiswas going to be a life-changing relationship?
I knew the Mr. Z was the one for me when we met. He was the kindest man I ever had met since my Uncle John. I only hoped that it was to be, as in Kismet. It was.
4) Though she sings about consuming tequila, the female side of Karmin, Amy, is a big proponent of healthy eating. She recommends organic foods that are free of pesticides, hormones, food coloring and added sugar. Think about your most recent meal. Was it a good example of "healthy eating?"
Yes, as it was all organic, non GMO. Garbage in, garbage in your bones, sinews, and lungs.
5) Husband Nick has his own Twitter account (@NickKarmin), but he doesn't use it often. His last tweet was back in August. What's the last thing you posted to social media? (No, your blog doesn't count.)
Sorry, I don't do any social media besides this blog. There is a very persistent OCD person out there who is obsessed about finding me in FB, and stuff, so I don't tell my ID there. I do not do twitter, or whatever. Besides, an old lady needs time to just "Live" Life.
6) Karmin performed "Brokenhearted" live on Dancing with the Stars. DWTS is very big business for ABC-TV. So many people vote for their favorite couples each week that their phone and text systems often overload. Have you ever voted for a contestant on American Idol, DWTS, The Voice, etc.?
No, because, even though I might have enjoyed those shows, that takes time, so I never watched them.
7) In 2012, the year"Brokenhearted" was popular, the average cost for a gallon of gas was $3.91. In 2016, it had dropped to $2.40. When it's time to fill up your tank, do you shop around for the lowest price/gal.? Are you brand loyal and always return to the same station, regardless of price? Or do you just buy gas from the nearest station when you're running low?
I'll stop for gas if it's on "empty", but just enough to get me to our regular gas stop. Price is a very big deal, since Big Oil really drags us around by the nose.
When I had my very first car, in 1958, gas was 33 cents a gallon. I'll always remember that because I used to drive myself to high school, and also my sweet, car-less Auntie J. paid for part of a tankful of gas when I took her to do grocery shopping.
8) In 2012, the Space Shuttle Endeavor was retired and placed on permanent display at the California Science Center, a Los Angeles museum dedicated to encouraging excitement and enthusiasm about air and space travel. Let's say you had a long weekend to spend in Los Angeles. Would you go out of your way to see The Endeavor? What else would you like to do during your time in the City of Angels?
I used to live in L.A. county, 11 or so miles from the City Hall. I'm not going back. I don't go to Los Angeles except to grind my way through it to the California Coast above it. There is just nothing about L.A. County that has any draw for me, other than Venice and Santa Monica. Those two places are cool.
9) While we're thinking about aviation ... Statistics show that it's still a predominantly male field, and less than 10% of commercial pilots are women. Would you be nervous flying with a woman pilot?
No, not at all. I would have been one of them if the Air Force had taken women into their flight school when I was 18. Another thing that Americans should know is that today's pilots are very overworked and underpaid. To see how the Air Lines are getting away with this, you have to look back to the Union busting that all big Corporations engaged in with glee. Read about what happened in Aviation, HERE. And it hasn't gotten any better over the last 7 years.
I believe in the Adam Smith Triad. And I don't like the Bread and circuses media outlets that kept the real news, such as that above when it ensued, from being reported. Everything is connected. Action, re-action, eh?
"What you have done in secret I will write on the face of the sun"
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!