"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, November 20, 2020

Saturday9: Walking on Broken Glass

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: Walking on Broken Glass (1992)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.  

This is an amazing song video!  Loved it .. πŸ’Ÿ Thanks Sam!

1) Annie sings that she feels she's walking on broken glass. What's the most recent item you broke?  A Thermometer. 

2) She sings about being cut until she bleeds. Tell us about a time you needed stitches.  I had stitches for tear duct surgery a couple years ago.

3) This week's featured artist, Annie Lennox, was born on Christmas Day. Do you know anyone whose birthday falls on a holiday? I don't. 

4) When Annie met Dave Stewart, with whom she'd form the duo The Eurthmyics, she was living in Australia and staying in a tiny apartment called a bedsit. The occupant has his/her own combination bedroom/livingroom with cooking facilities, but must share a bathroom. Tell us about one of your early apartments.  My earliest apartment was a little studio very similar to Annie's.  Only it was one story of converted barracks and surrounded by Big trees and green space.  It was very pleasant to live there.

5) After the Eurythmics broke up, Annie went out on her own. Would you rather work independently, or as part of a group?  I'd rather work with a group of people.

6) Among her many honors, Annie Lennox was named chancellor of Scotland's Glasgow Calledonia University. What's the last college campus you visited? What brought you there? In 2014 we attended our daughter's graduation at UC Berkeley.  Quite an accomplishment for a kid battling a potentially fatal disease and trying to work as well as go to school.  I'm glad we were all there to celebrate a big milestone in our family's history.  A happy time.  

7) In 1992, the year this song was recorded, compact discs outsold cassette tapes for the first time. Back in the day, did you enjoy making your own mix tapes? I loved tapes but didn't mix any.  I like tapes better than discs.  But alas, life marches on.....

8) Also in 1992, Johnny Carson made his last appearance as host of The Tonight Show.  The catchphrase, "Here's Johnny!" was associated with the show. Can you think of another popular TV catchphrase?  I'm not familiar with much on TV, so no, I can't think of any at the moment.  As I read other people's Saturday9's, though, I'm sure to recognize some of them.  

 9) Random question: Think of your past week. Now look ahead to the coming week. Would you like it to be more, or less, exciting?  I've had far too much excitement to want anymore of it.  I'm hoping it's less exciting.  I need to just sit and knit and watch my little YouTube favorites and some DVDs.  It's time for me to drop out and chill.  But, before I go....... 

here is the Linkie for this weeks Meme..  

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

  

18 comments:

  1. Your daughter went to a good university! Go bears!

    I hope your coming week is at least exciting enough to celebrate Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rah! Rah! Sis boom Bah! πŸŽ‰ Go Bears!
    And thanks, Bev, for the good wishes about Thanksgiving. May you have a lovely holiday also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter. My cousin and I visited UC Berkeley in the summer of 2018. Beautiful campus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. She really drove herself to do it. Determination par excellence.
      UC Berkeley is really beautiful. It looks like one of the old ones back East, like Harvard or Wesleyan college.

      Delete
  4. Was it a mercury or digital thermometer? I ask because I've always heard mercury is impossible to clean up because you can't "catch" it.

    So glad you got to attend that graduation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a digital one. I think the glass ones are in disfavor, and no wonder. My brother and I played with the Mercury when we were kids and we had accidentally broken one. Ahh...The bad old days. πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  5. I hope you have a good Thanksgiving. We're planning on a near-nothing one ourselves. Too many people around here don't observe social distancing or wear masks. Have a good day and watch lots of TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s best to avoid the neighbors then, if they won’t wear masks, or social distance! Grrrrr.
      Thanks for the good wishes. I ended up reading more of “Rage”, working jig saw puzzles, and playing an online MMPOLG. Knitting has hit a lull. Hopefully, I get another pair going. But, hey! I got my hair washed. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜‡πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  6. I'm about to tackle knitting mittens for my sister. Your thumb tutorial is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help. I ❤️ 🧢πŸ₯’ And may you get to knit as much as you want to. Over the Thanksgiving Holiday, and Beyond! πŸš€πŸ›Έ

      Delete
  7. I remember when I broke a mercury thermometer at work... What a production.
    We had a hazmat crew in to vacuum the mercury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it’s quite deadly. It’s also gorgeous and actually fun to play with.
      Hope you have a lovely celebration, Diana. Safe and lovely.

      Delete
  8. Ya know what...surely I had stitches of some kind when I had my gall bladder out. I forgot about that. It was nothing that had to be removed. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I both had similar procedures: Arthroscopic surgery, internal stitches, super glued the tiny slit where the equipment went inside. My surgeon made me laugh. He said, “we preserved your bikini line.” 🀣 Enjoy the long weekend.

      Delete
  9. You broke a thermometer? I hope it was the new kind. The kind without mercury. I lived in fear of breaking one when I was growing up. Mercury poisoning was a very real fear of my parents for some reason. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Stacy. πŸ™‚ It was a digital one. I was trying to put a new battery in it. Ah, your parents probably on red alert due to all the Japanese kids who were getting brain damage from mercury used in industrial plants. Japan had the worst cases of mercury poisoning.
      Hope you get very good news re your daughters test. And I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday.

      Delete
  10. I was wondering about the thermometer too....do they even sell mercury thermometers anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. To answer you question, yes, they still make and sell them. Perhaps mercury thermometers have some advantage in lab use. Better, more accurate readings, maybe?

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..