"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, May 28, 2021

Saturday 9: If You Are Reading This .... Plus an update on Wolfie...


If You're Reading This

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Dear Readers:  If you would like to see the other entries, USE THIS LINK

Saturday 9: If You're Reading This (2007)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it HERE  (Sam, this is such a beautiful ballad)  

Memorial Day is the federal holiday designated to honor American service people who died in battle. 

1) Memorial Day was introduced after the Civil War. War memorials, as well as graves of veterans, are to be decorated with flags and flowers this weekend in a show appreciation. Is there a war memorial in your neighborhood?  Not in my neighborhood.  (wow, that sounds sort of bad, yes?)  The War memorial building in our town is in Balboa Park.  It's fairly large and sits in a grassy place with trees, so it's relatively peaceful there.  

2) Here at Saturday 9, we regard everyone who served -- veterans and active military -- as heroes. Have you, or has anyone in your family, worn the uniform of our armed forces? We want to hear about them.  My brother, my dad and nearly all of my uncles and cousins on both sides of the family have served.  My Dad and one of his brothers were in the D-Day invasion, and my brother nearly was in, and several of my male cousins were in, Viet Nam. I wanted to join the air force, like my Uncle Joe.  I took their tests and aced it, but the guys giving the test said that women could never fly the jet fighters.  Guess what?  They were dead wrong.  GIRL POWER!  But it did take a couple more decades. We were too short, they said. But they were training Vietnamese pilots and they were shorter than I was!  Such Cheek!

3) Similarly, we're grateful to those who served on the front lines during the Covid 19 pandemic. Tell us about anyone you know who was an essential worker, a first responder or administered vaccines. They deserve a shout out, too!  My neighbor's daughter, who used to be our baby sitter, and works in a hospital.  One of our daughters, who is an essential worker had to work without protection for ages before she and her co-workers were finally moved up to get their shots.

4) Memorial Day is the traditional kick off of the summer season. Have you packed away your winter clothes yet?  I live in California.  We don't pack away anything.  We think it's FREEZING if it's only 65 outside. 

5) What's your favorite picnic food? That would be potato salad made from my maternal Grandma's recipe.

6) As you answer these questions, is there a fan or an air conditioner cooling your room? No, and that is because it's May and the so called "June Gloom" has arrived to keep it cooler. We are very grateful. 

7) This week's song is about a heartbreaking situation. The lyrics are a letter from a soldier to his family, which was only to be sent in the event of his death. What's the saddest song you have ever heard?  Saddest?  Well, there are a ton of them but I'll pick this one.....  "In the Arms of the Angel"  This one always makes me cry.  If I didn't want the Bag Piper to play Amazing Grace at my funeral, I'd have someone sing this one. 


8) This week's featured artist, Tim McGraw, has a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's near those honoring William Shatner and Julie Andrews. If you could have lunch with one of those luminaries -- Tim McGraw, William Shatner or Julie Andrews -- which would you choose?  Julie Andrews because she had a career in Singing and movies, and that would be the coolest thing to talk about.  

9) Random Question: Think of the last thing you bought. Was it a wise purchase?  Oh yes.  It was some more double points for my knitting.  It was a very wise decision.

Wolfie UPDATE:

He's a small boi.  I have small hands.

Wolfie is on the mend: no C and no dreaded Fungi.  He does have a couple of mean little bacterials up his wee nose, and that will be dealt with with an antibiotic once a day for a month.   I can't tell you just how over the moon we are about the findings.




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

14 comments:

  1. "In the Arms of the Angel" was sung at my son's memorial. My entry today has a link to his wife and Ned's wife singing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sang it so beautifully. My heart goes out to you.

      Delete
  2. Such good news about little Mr. Wolfie! I'm so happy for you.

    I'm glad that women are taking their place in the air, but I'm sorry you weren't one of them. I heard somewhere that less than 10% of commercial airline pilots are women, so we have a long way to go -- both in the military and in the private sector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being in Wolfie’s corner. This was a tough four weeks but it’s done and now we just can relax and pamper him through his dotage. He sure loves his Daddy. So sweet.
      One of the reasons given for so few women pilots is that women cannot handle the planes. The real reason is that it’s an all male club....pilots for the air force and navy retire get retrained for commercial aircraft. Fewer women come up from those ranks, and they pay for own way, all the way. Old boy networks.. you know?

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Wolfie is doing ok. I am sorry you didn't get to be a pilot. That would have been awesome. One of James' cousin's wife is a pilot with one of the airlines but she went through the Air Force (I think) first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CountryDew. He’s our last dog, we think, so I’m glad it doesn’t have to be soon that we say goodbye. He’s such a sweet little guy.
      Your hubby’s cousin’s wife may well have learned to fly the big birds in the Air Force. Many commercial jumbo jet pilots came out of the Air Force. And...There are quite a few private jet pilots who are women.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy Wolfie is going to be ok. He is a cutie.
    Very cool you "should have" been able to be a fighter pilot. I admire you for that. I am glad we are making advances in that area. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori. I just really love planes and especially the fast ones. It would have been an interesting life. Every time I hear of a woman pilot working for the airlines I smile a secret smile. Hope you have a lovely Sunday.

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm so relieved that Wolfie is going to be ok! <3 Give him extra belly rubs from me. And DPNs are always a good purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that, Kwizgiver. He loves belly rubs....
      He’s on the mend now. One dose down and 29 more to go.
      The DPNs were some of the new colorful wood ones. Tasty 😋 lol

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Songbird. 👋🏻 Julie is just that. I love her. I’ll watch anything she’s in. including that sort of Cute but silly, “The Princess Diaries”.

      Delete
  7. Aw...I'm so glad to hear Wolfie is going to be okay. He looks to be about the same size as my little diva, Daisy. I can't tell what Wolfie is in the photo. Daisy is a toy poodle and a mottled black and gray...a party colored poodle that didn't quite make it to the party. lol
    I didn't think of "In the Arms of the Angel." I hate when the SPCA commercials play with it backing the images. I know I'm going to end up bawling if I don't turn it off. A huge thank you for your family's long history of service! Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww poor Mollie, all dressed up and no where to go. 💋💋💋 sending kisses. Wolfie is a Shitzu/black toy poodle mix. His fur is very, very soft and fine, with an undercoat he sheds.
    “In the Arms of the Angel”is haunting and heartbreaking. I think it’s one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard. Bev’s daughters-in-law really sang it beautifully. At the funeral of our a friend it was also beautiful. What a Heart breaker...
    And I thank your family, too, for their service. They’ve all had a tough job, so they have. Brave Hearts, all.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..