"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, January 28, 2022

Saturday 9: All of Me (1932)

 



Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Louis Armstrong calls his girl "baby." What's the last endearment someone used when speaking to you?  
Some one called me "Sweetheart".  I think it was an Italian guy, maybe a God Father? ... lol (just kidding about who it was) . 
 
2) He sings that losing his love made him cry. Do you cry easily?
I can't help crying a lot.  It's just the way it is. So, Yes, you could say that I cry easily.
 
3) Louis was born in New Orleans, a city famous for music and cuisine. What's something you love about your home town?
I'm a war baby, born on a farm, so I really don't have a hometown, though I was conceived in Hollywood, California. Does that count?
The long explanation: 
When Dad went to intensive training for Signal Corps after boot camp. This was because he spoke four languages and they needed guys with this skills.  The signal corps did "behind enemy lines" sorts of things, and so.....
my Mom moved back home. 
 
I was born on her parent's farm.  She didn't leave there until I was old enough to travel
(a couple of months) whereupon we rejoined Dad at his army camp, to live on base with him in Louisiana where he was being trained. 
They lived on an army base when I was tiny, and when he shipped out for overseas, she went back home to her parent's farm in Ohio, where I had been born about 7 months earlier.   
 
4) At age 11, Louis unwisely fired a pistol during a New Year's Eve celebration and was sentenced to 18 months in a juvenile detention facility. It was there that he met music teacher Peter Davis, who believed in Louis and taught him to play cornet and bugle. Tell us about someone who believed in you and made your life better. 18 MONTHS?!? Geeze!  At least something excellent came of it. But that was sheer good luck. God Bless Peter Davis!
 
As to the question:  
I have to say my three Language teachers in High School took a special interest in me, and then again in college, this was taken up by my English Lit prof, Western Civ prof, and my Geology Prof.  They all had a big, positive effect on my life.  They seemed to know just how poor my family was, and they treated me to a confidence in myself that I'd never had before. 
 
An Aside:  I mean my little car was "repoed" from the parking lot at college!  Sheesh! I was talking over a paper with my teacher at the time and spotted them towing my car!  I said, "I have to get my books out of the trunk, Prof R!" 
How embarrassing was that?  Dad would get me a vehicle as a "gift", and then either sell it to someone else, or stop paying for it after presenting it to me.  Well. you get the picture. If that was the worst thing he ever did to his kids, it would actually be funny.
 
5) Louis would say that arrest changed his life for the better because it was at the detention center that "me and music got married." After his release, he began playing on street corners, or in honky tonks ... any place he could hone his skills. What is something you have worked hard to be better at?  Forgiving, both myself and other people, and also learning to love unconditionally.

6) In the late 1920s, Louis led a jazz band called The Hot Five. His wife, Lil, believed he was too talented not to receive star billing. He just didn't feel ready. She went behind his back and convinced the management at Chicago's Dreamland Cafe to advertise: "The Hot Five, featuring Louis Armstrong: The World's Greatest Trumpet Player." It worked! At the end of the gig, Okeh Records signed him to a recording contract. Can you think of a time when, like Lil, you were glad you asked for forgiveness rather than permission?  I had a parental unit who was hyper controlling.  I'm glad that I ignored him and kept seeing my husband-to-be when he and I first had met. 
Not to put too fine a point on my life up until then, my dad was a total bastard.  
Mom said it wasn't the war that did it, as he'd been that way before... *Zippi shoots down that canard*

7) In 1932, the year this record was popular, the son of aviator Charles Lindbergh was kidnapped and killed. This famous case inspired Agatha Christie to write Murder on the Orient Express. Have you read the book? Seen the movie, the remake or the miniseries? I just finished re-reading the book, and I've seen the movie a couple of times.  I want to see the one with David Suchet in it, again. Also....I found the remake the other day, and yes, I'm thinking of watching it, too.  However, I'm not sure about the actor playing Poirot. K. Branagh is a great actor but can he be as good as David Suchet.  We'll see, won't we?!

8) Another aviator was in the news in 1932. Amelia Earhart flew 14 hours from Newfoundland to Londonderry. What is the longest flight you've ever taken? 
The longest one has to be the one to Denver one year. I flew out to see hubby when he was in school in Colorado.

9) Random question: You have the opportunity to travel safely in a time machine. Would you go back to the past, into the future, or say, "no thanks, I'll stay in 2022?"
A few years ago I'd have said into the past.  I know my daughter's life could have been spared .. I am not interested in the future.. but, now, for either case... I say.... "Let it Be" 
 
I'm certain, without a shadow of doubt in my head, that my sweet girl dwells in the House of the Lord, and that she is happy.
 
And yes, for the record, I sniffled and wiped my eyes all the way through this... 

That's all folks... If you would like to join in the fun, or just read other offerings, Please go HERE to see all the Sat9ers.
 
Thank you Sam!  I look forward to this every week!


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

15 comments:

  1. Excuse me if you know this already, but "let it be" is what Mary McCartney used to say to soothe her son Paul when, as a little boy, he couldn't stop crying. When the Beatles were breaking up, and the adult Paul was scared and stressed, he literally saw his mother in a dream. She again soothed him with let it be. "When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be." So it's wonderfully fitting that you, as a mother, thought of "Let It Be" when in regards to your daughter.

    Skip the Branagh version. It's nowhere near as good, or as faithful to the book, as the Albert Finney version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I did not know this story. Beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Hello Gal! I put this in the wrong place... sorry.
      A big "Thank you" for giving me the background to, "Let it Be". I'd never heard that. What a great comfort it must have been for Paul, and it was for me, too...
      As to the Branagh version of, "Murder on the Orient Express". Much appreciated. I don't need to watch it now. It didn't sound that good anyway, and now more of the skinny, so to speak, makes it even LESS likely. From.00065 to NIL. lol

      Delete
  2. I think one of the most sinking feelings ever was watching my vehicle get repo-ed after my divorce. I could afford child support ($800/month) or the truck. I tried to work OT, but it tried up, so the truck went bye bye. At least I was close to the hospital and could walk or take the bus pretty much any where I wanted to go. Santa Fe wasn't that big back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You had a rough patch there, My friend.
      Mine felt like a rush of confusion and grief that I couldn't collect my thoughts until later. I was aghast that my Lit Prof saw it all, and then I had to face the rest of the day, plus have my mother come collect me. I lived in a rural area with no bus service so she lent me her car until I could figure out alternative transport.

      Delete
  3. Zippi, there’s so much sadness about your past in your post … I’m sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you for that, songbird. It's a time of life for reflection, and since it's back there, it comes burbling up for the mire, so to speak. lol
      I'm glad that all women and ALL of them, have more options these days. They don't have to stay with abusive husbands now.

      Delete
  4. Zippi, I know you've had a rough time of it. I deeply respect you for visiting it in your answers. I shuffle over mine with skips and jumps, mostly because I know my father and brother read my blog. You are strong for being truthful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, CountryDew. It's hard to face it, especially since it affected my own children .. my sadness and such. But it got better.

      I thought and thought about these questions, and just decided to tell it like it was. I can certainly understand being circumspect because of having family members who read your blog. No one in my family reads mine that I know of.

      Delete
  5. I think I would stay put in your position too. I love that Let it Be is comforting to you. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori. I didn't know the origin of that song until Gal told us about it. And then it got even more special. I've seen my mother in dreams and she is happy. In this dream, we met in a small cottage with a lot of other women who were making things and there were flowers EVERYwhere. It was beautiful. She had flowers in her hair, too.
      Dreams are a special message, I mean that is my belief.

      Delete
  6. #9 is so poignant. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kwizgiver. Thanks for those hugs and (((hugs))) back.
      My hubby had two dreams that answered my questions. That's why I can be at Peace, and can in live in Hope.

      Delete
  7. #3 My brother was a war baby, my father was stationed on the east coast fighting German submarines and my brother was born just before my father was transferred to the Pacific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! the DREADFUL Pacific theater. Gah! My dad was blown up after three years in the SC, and came back injured, but before that he was due to be sent to the Pacific, too. That one was very bloody. =o( !!! Please thank your dad for his service, even if he's now in heaven.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..