"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, January 21, 2022

Saturday 9: I'm the Only One (1993)

Saturday 9: I'm the Only One (1993)  



Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Melissa Etheridge sings this song as though her heart is breaking. What's your favorite love song? Is it about falling in love, being in love, or losing love?

"Solo Para Ti" by Charo.  Being in love.   

2) "I'm the Only One" is a favorite song of American Idol contestants, having been performed four different times. If we were to have a Saturday 9 karaoke night, what song would you do?  

One of Linda Ronstadt's songs from her album: 

 "Canciones de me Padre".... This is the one I love the best: "Por Un Amor"

A question last week got me thinking about songs in other languages that I sing along with in albums I own.  This album is one I now hum because my voice is so .. er...unreliable these days.  If no one else is around, I just BELT IT OUT! 

3) A rocker at heart, Melissa Etheridge began her career in her teen years, playing with local country groups. Which do you enjoy more: country or rock?  

I'm too much in love with both genres to pick. Music is lovely when you have a vast choice to fill your ears and soul with. 

4) In 1985, Melissa sent a demo to Olivia Records, hoping for a record deal. She was rejected. Her debut CD was released in 1988 on the Island label and went gold. Tell us about a time you bounced back from professional adversity. 

I've never held a professional position. 

5) In her personal life, Melissa has faced major challenges, including breast cancer and the death of her son. She credits music with helping her heal emotionally. What gives you strength?

My faith that,  in the end, it matters when you believe in a Celestial being more powerful than any "Fickle Finger of Fate". *With a little a nod to Laugh-in* 

6) Melissa is a vegetarian, so her diet emphasizes plant-based foods like fruits, grains, nuts and vegetables. What was your most recent meal? Would it qualify as vegetarian?

Yogurt with blueberries. I would qualify as a vegetarian if I didn't have to eat some meat.  Even the Dalai Lama has been asked by his doctors - Tibetan ones- to eat a little meat. So I bent a little though I will never, ever eat Beef again. So.... I eat a little bison, and a little chicken, as well as a couple ounces of Tuna from time to time.

7) In 1993, the year this song was popular, a massive storm dropped a record 56" of snow in Mount Le Conte, TN. Have you done much shoveling this winter?  

Not unless we go up to the mountains and play in the snow. I regret not getting a cabin up there in the early days when things like that were affordable.  

8) One of the most popular movies of 1993 was A Few Good Men, starring Tom Cruise, Demi Moore and Jack Nicholson, who famously said, "You can't handle the truth!" What's the most recent movie you watched?  

We watched a movie last night that I really loved.  It's a memoir... The Tender Bar.  It's written by JR Moehringer.  He is a writer who grew up without a father, because his dad was an abusive Bully, a Clown and a Loser.  His momma, maternal uncle, aunts and grumpy grand dad raised him.  

9) Random question: Dessert is on us! Describe your perfect ice cream sundae.  I don't like them but I do like this.. and it's my favorite dessert.  I get to have it about once a year well three times if you get a whole pie for two people..... 


French Chocolate Mousse Silk Pie

YUMMM!



*Thanks to our 💓Crazy Sam💓 for this fun weekly MEME.  

Readers, if you would like to follow the rest of the gang, Go HERE *

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!  

22 comments:

  1. I like your attitude. Just belt it out, Ms. Zip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gal. I will keep on entertaining the dog and maybe some outside birds with my generous warbles! heeheehee

      Delete
  2. That silk pie looks so good and I have had it many years ago. Can't eat many sweets. I enjoyed listening to the music video. I got to hear Linda do Canciones when she was touring back in the 80's in So Calif. I still have a CD of her music. I agree with you on getting a cabin. We have to drive about 90 minutes to get up to the snow when it does snow in our local mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, and it certainly is a great pie! I use a recipe similar to it to make one when I bake, which is now seldom.
      I'm just a little lazy about finding my own recipe! lol

      I wish I'd been aware that Linda was so ill, and that she wouldn't ever be singing much later in life. She had a wonderful voice! Life can certainly be cruel.
      We are close to our mountains down here. But they are not as good as the ones we once enjoyed in the San Bernardino. We would go camping with the our little girls every long weekend when we lived there. And the water was so much better in those days. There's a huge aquifer at the base of the foothills where we lived.

      Delete
  3. Love your answer to #3. Isn't that the truth, music just fills your soul when the voice, the words, and the music are right. The genre doesn't matter because it speaks to something so deep inside us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacy. Ah yes,music; this troubled world wouldn't be bearable at ALL without it. And you are right. The genre doesn't matter. well, not all things like those odd ice recordings. Maybe they could get together with the Tuvans? lol I love Tuvan throat singing, so probably not.

      Delete
  4. #7 I regret selling the New Hampshire cottage, yes the Cape is nice but I liked sitting by the lake for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana, I can understand that regret. We'd have been living in a WHOLE other part of California, and raised our children there, if we could have broken away earlier in life. But... alas..

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi songbird. It is a delicious and extravagant dessert. Before I learned to make it myself, it was an incredible birthday treat. There was a pie shop that sold pieces, and we'd go there and buy a couple of them. Then it was the whole pie.... lol

      Delete
  6. That pie looks luscious. Yum. I'm sorry you don't have a cabin in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ms CountryDew. Ah.. pie! It certainly is the most decadent pie EVER.
      About that cabin: Getting a cabin in the mountains was just one of the many dreams of mine that went by the wayside when we came to live in DH's Hometown. We are lucky to have gotten a house before everything escalated out of reach. Robber Barons causing bubbles didn't just happen in the 80's.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It's delicious! It's sort of "like" a sundae, but has a crust. and no cherry. hmmmm cherries.. hmm..... Hope you have a great weekend. I liked your Sundae bc I can eat one like that.

      Delete
  8. I just watched The Tender Bar a week or so ago. It really was good. I enjoyed it.
    Your French Silk Pie sounds wonderful. Loved your answers!
    Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori, and thanks for your comment. That pie tics all the boxes for me, too.

      And... Isn't that a great movie! Very feel good and a little look into the world of a little boy's life as he grows into a man.

      Delete
  9. I need to watch The Tender Bar. I've heard sucn good reviews about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it, Kwizgiver, and thanks for you comment.
      I'm going to watch it again before it disappears from the line up.
      Enjoy the weekend coming up rather quickly. Hope the weather's going to be ok .. I saw a rather ominous map late last night.

      Delete
  10. why will you never eat beef? I rarely et it, but I'm curious about why you are so firm in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Bev, I’ll tell you. I was a war baby, being raised on a farm with a very good hunter who brought game back but didn’t raise meat besides chicken, to be eaten. I didn’t eat any beef. The cows my grandma had where tiny Jerseys, which I loved.
      On my mother farm, where I grew up, she only raised chickens for eggs and meat, and rabbits. So, I have all that plus I don’t like the cruelty involved in cattle raising and slaughter in this society. I’ve had enough.. and you know what that’s like. When you’ve had enough...you find out how easily you can get along without something you just can’t deal with.

      Delete
    2. I like your answer. It makes sense. I almost never eat beef and do feel guilty for eating other meats.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your thoughtful question, and for reading my blog, Bev. Meat is something that isn't necessary for the human body as our teeth have evolved over time to allow us to be .. well, vegetarian. Now that I am old, I need some meat, but not much. Hope you have a great week.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..