"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, April 28, 2023

Promises, Promises by Naked eyes

Saturday 9: Promises, Promises (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this week's song, Naked Eyes lead singer Pete Byrne admits he believed his girl's promises, right from the start, but now he knows he should have been more careful with his heart. Do you consider yourself more trusting or skeptical?  I'm careful with my heart. It comes from having the sort of creep for a "daddy" that I had.  I will say this.... I do trust people who have the trust of people I already trust.  I'm sort of a warm hearted lady but I do have reserve.  

2) He looks back on when he and his girl laughed like kids. When did you recently literally laugh out loud (opposed to keystroking LOL)?  That would be this morning.  We were laughing about the idea of gluing a credit card to the ceiling.  

3) He accuses her of not being able to finish what she starts. How about you? Do you finish what you start, or can you think of projects that you're unlikely to ever complete?  The latter.  Time and disability finally caught up with me. Big time! LOL... Now I'm sorting through them all, eliminating the IMPOSSIBLES... 

4) Naked Eyes was a British New Wave band who had four Top 40 singles, including "Promises, Promises." They never toured 40 years ago because it was difficult to recreate their synthesizer-driven sound onstage. Is there a band or singer you would have liked to have seen perform live, but never did?  Many, many, not the least of which were Buffy St. Marie and Pete Seeger.  I would have gone to concert after concert by nearly every iconic band or singer that comprised Rock and Roll, Folk, and  Blue Grass greats.  I reckon that I was born to sing, and still try it every once and awhile.  It is to Laugh, Ha Ha.... But it still hurts not to have my voice anymore.

 5) While "Promises, Promises" is about an untrustworthy lover, Peter Byrne says he and bandmate/cowriter Rob Fisher worked well together because they knew they could trust one another professionally. By sharing honest assessments of creative ideas, they knew Naked Eyes would never put out "rubbish." If you want an honest opinion on something important, where do you turn?  This might sound trite or corny, by my Hubby is the best person for that job.  He advised me to pare down my ambitions for my little hobby business, and he was spot on.  So I did.  That's only one example of good advice from him.  My mother gave me good advice, too, once I trusted her with my heart.

6) Madonna was a Naked Eyes fan. Are you a Madonna fan?  I think she has a great voice.  But I really don't like her silly manias. So, yes, if she sings, no if she spouts off ....

7) In 1983, when this song was on the radio, the Lotus 1-2-3 program made it easier for PC users to build spreadsheets. Are you answering these questions on a PC or a Mac? Laptop or desktop? Android or iPhone?  That would be telling..... ahem... I use a PC mostly because the iPad is sort of ummm,  you know, stooopid.  Mine is anyway. I use a laptop when traveling.  I'd put of a picture here if the whole lot of internet photos haven't been grabbed off by the ultimate useless Getty Museum or something similar.  I hate Getty with a passion.  As if they need the money....

 8) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off for the first time, taking passengers from Las Vegas to Phoenix. Where did you go on your first flight? What about your most recent flight?  The First?  I flew in a Bi -Plane at an airshow in the  60's.   Ages ago.  The most recent was a flight home from Santa Cruz sometime in the 80's.  I really loved being "up there" but seldom flew anywhere.

9) Random question -- Finish this statement: If I knew then what I know now, I would have _finished my education, carting the twins to day care at the local four year.  Even though it was going to be hard, I wish I had done it. It would have been a very big deal, set an example for the girls, and lifted a lot of pressure off everyone for me to be a teacher and have a profession.  For one thing, I would have known the Ins and Outs of getting my hands on 💰 Scholarship money 💰 for our daughters.  It is an acquired Art, let me tell you.  

👉Dear Readers, if you want to see other's posts or to join in The fun,  go HERE 👈

Thanks again 💓Sam💓, for this fun MEME on Saturday... 


12 comments:


  1. #4: Buffy St. Marie and Pete Seeger! What a super concert that would be.
    I think #5 is very romantic. How lovely that your hubs is where you turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet words…DH’s dad had a business for years, so hubby knows the little ins and outs..

      Delete
  2. Never heard of Buffy St Marie.
    I played Saturday 9
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say Hey! Nice to meet you, Mz peppylady. Buffy St. Marie wrote a lot of the songs that other people made famous. She also warbled through many a zither tune, as well.
      Be well.

      Delete
  3. That is awesome that your hubby can give you good advice. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have had a "bonzer" weekend. Thanks for the comments, Lori.

      Delete
  4. I would have loved to have seen Pete Seeger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been great to actually see him; however, he was mostly a folk singer and they usually only came as far as the Rockies. lol

      Delete
  5. I started to write my husband but I'm a bit peeved at him right now. LOL. So I didn't. You've mentioned your desire to have finished your education before. I wish you could have, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Peeved at a hubby is a normal thing it seems. I could thrash mine for not buying Qualcomm back in the day, but heck... it's only money. Grrrr

      About ED.... Thank you Country Dew, but, alas, It was not to be. However, I've never stopped studying, growing and learning. Trig is my next venture. I mean as long as I can still remember how Geometry works. hehe

      Delete
  6. I need your hubby to give me a hobby reality check. Although I did donate an embarrassing amount of yarn I would never use to a local charity group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will cost you four skeins of sock yarn. hehehehe Just kidding! Oooo what's the name of the charity? Do they sell it at their thrift store? 🤭

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..