"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, May 13, 2023

Saturday Nine. Mama Said (1961)

 Saturday 9: Mama Said (1961)  






Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This week's song is about a girl who remembers wise advice she received from her mother. Tell us about someone who advised you years ago and to this day you think, "They were right!"

My mother told me, "Life is sad, my Dear."  She was right.  That's why I tried to make my own kids' life a lot different than my childhood was.  

2) She sings about hearing chapel bells. Can you hear church bells ringing from your home? 

No, not anymore.  When I was a kid, I could.  There was a catholic church on the orphanage property and a little Christian Church where I went every Sunday until my Dad read them the riot act for Baptizing me.  

3) This week's featured artists are the Shirelles, a group formed in New Jersey in 1957. They are credited for beginning the girl group genre. Name another popular girl group.  

The Andrew's Sisters. I can still sing a lot of their songs. 

4) In 1961, when this song was popular, Jacqueline Kennedy appeared on the cover of Ladies Home Journal three times. Is there a printed magazine in your home right now? If so, who is on the cover?

It's a bird.  An American Eagle.  I don't know his name but let's just call him Freddie.  ;) 

5) This song was chosen in celebration of Mother's Day. More phone calls are made on Mother's Day than any other day of the year. Who was your last phone call from?  

My eye doctor. lol  

6) Salons see a bump in appointments around Mother's Day every year. Partly because moms want to look good for their day, but also because hair, spa and nail services are a popular Mother's Day gift. When did you most recently go to a salon, and was it for your hair, complexion, or nails?

Ummmm.....  It was SO long ago that I do not remember.  But, it would have been for my hair. 

7) Similarly, restaurants experience a spike in reservations on Mother's Day. Where did you last dine out? Was a reservation required?

No reservation was required, and it was for breakfast at a local restaurant.   

8) The most popular Mother's Day gift is still the greeting card. Where do you card shop: drugstore, bookstore, card shop, etc.?

Most of the card shops have closed.  But I used to love to go to them.  Now it would be a drug store for a card.

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?

Dark chocolate about the 70% kind... This stuff...  

Delicious!
Scharffen Berger.... YUMMY!  I used to really love See's Candy.  But, over time, things change. 


Happy Mothering Day!  

If you are a woman, you are probably Mothering some little being!  So, Pamper yourself.  


And here's one from Sam. too



Thank you Sam!  Saturday Nine always makes my day, and life, lots better.  



11 comments:

  1. My dad was older than my mom by a good bit so I grew up with Big Band, Bing, The Andrews Sisters, etc. being played in the house and while I didn't always appreciate them as a teenager, I do enjoy their music now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful and timeless classics and with the power of some excellent remastering, I think they sound even better.. stereo is one very important new sound.. And some people who remaster them are, well, utter geniuses at it. I heard the originals on 78's when I was but a tiny kiddy, and so I sang along with mother and the Andrew's sisters at that time. They are some very precious memories.

      Delete
  2. I bet that chocolate is amazing! Chocolate is a favorite for me. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate is my favorite candy treat, too. It is really delicious and smooth as silk. I eat it very slowly because it's pricey so I nibble it.

      Delete
  3. I need to find a place that sells a better variety of chocolate. All I usually see is Hersheys, Nestle's, or Ghirandelli (however you spell it). But it's a rural area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can google it. This comes by mail - and it's yummy as it's sort of high end of the chocolate stuff. Since I don't eat as much I used to eat of other kinds.
      I fear my Gut Microbes would start the "Mother of All Wars" if I did.

      Delete
  4. That fierce Bald Eagle needed a tough little name. heehee

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 I don’t think it is sad, my like an adventure at every turn.
    #3 I like their “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” when I was doing my homework in my room the Andrew Sister on The Lawrence Welk show could usually draw me out to watch.
    #4 The first thing that popped into my mind was… Eagles… Bald Eagles and a newspaper article. The local fish hatchery had to put up nets over the fish ponds, the local Bald Eagle population was using the the ponds as fast food restaurants. A quick snack… the trout pond, over there are the salmon ponds for dinner.
    #8 I go to the drugstore to get cards they have a better selection than the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. #1. I always delighted when a person I now know had a happy, sane, childhood. It certainly makes the world a better place. And #3 .. I LOVE that song! Oh, you thought of Eagles, too! Bald Eagles are sort of sneak thieves and don't mind stealing fish from the best fishers, the Osprey's. Bald Eagles do that all the time. Cards are a money maker for most places. But drug stores do have a better selection. I agree! Have a great week, Diana. <3

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..