"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Thankful Thursday: Rock "Candy" and Memories from the Dusty Past

I'm grateful for my teachers.  From my very first one, my mother, to all the others that came after her.  Mother, in her quiet way, taught me to be kind to all the animals and to appreciate and respect their lives, as long as they weren't eating her garden vegetables, she lived in Peaceful harmony with them.

She taught me that having friends who were more like sisters was one of the greatest joys of being a woman.  She treasured her friends and many of them were her friends for life.  I'm grateful for friendships that have lasted so long.  Not that we have constant contact but you know that someone out there loves you like proper FAMILY.  The tie is strong and lasts decades.  My Aunts by Decree where just as devastated by mother's sudden untimely death as where her blood sisters.  She helped so many people in her volunteering, as a councilor at All Anon, and other places.  Mother taught me to give without holding back.  She taught me that we were ALL family.

There are a lot of memories in this plate
I'm truly thankful for all the years we were able to share this interesting and fulfilling Rockhounding hobby with friends.  One of our club's Rock Hound faceting masters taught me how to facet gem materials, and many others taught us the best way to make cabochons and even free forms.

We learned a lot from all of them, including taking a master's course in Gemology from FGAs in  The Gemological Society of San Diego, which probably doesn't exist anymore, or perhaps it re-merged with San Diego Mineral and Gem.

I'm grateful for all the people who helped me to learn the craft of Ceramics, from pouring molds, to firing a kiln, and knowing about clay bodies, and the proper things to look for when combining glazes.

I'm grateful for my teachers - so very grateful.  What they taught me helped me in Life and in running a business, and kept me from making egregious errors about materials and semi precious beads!


This little bitty teapot has fond memories for me.  It's the one that my mother made syrup in every Saturday morning when she made us pancakes.  Brown sugar, water and flavorings would boil in it until we had a delicious tasting syrup for our pancakes.  Fresh every Saturday, and no preservatives!

I found it when clearing out things in the kitchen this morning.  It prompted this Thankful post.  It made me remember my mother's thrifty and wonderful ways, her generosity with friends and strangers, and her kindness.

"The Heart hath its own memory, like the mind,
And in it are enshrined
The precious keepsakes,
Into which is wrought the giver's loving thought."
~♥~Henry Wadsworth  Longfellow~♥~

And....
A Poem For My Friend
Did I hear your whispered confession, in the center of my heart?
Those softly spoken sorrows forced through the tattered remnant of your soul,
That night they nearly killed you with their weapons of control?

Was it you that I heard? Where are you now?
What cast you down so close to me in that dreamland of astonishment we both inhabited?
That place where I felt your wretched anguish at having been left behind
Without me?


To Steve, who taught me how artistic and sensitive a Gear Head could be.  Thank you Buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..