"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Saturday Nine: Bobby's Girl

 Bobby's Girl

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Bobby's Girl (1962)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Marcie Blane confesses she sits at home, hoping Bobby will call her. Do you owe anyone a phone call or email?  I've been AFK for a while, from my emails.  My sister usually calls me every Monday but she hasn't  for the last couple of weeks. Maybe I should call her? 

2) We know Marcie wants to be Bobby's Girl. Let's play the Google Game and find out what you want. Go to your favorite search engine, keystroke your name and "wants," and then search. (For example: "Samantha wants" led us to a math problem that begins: "Samantha wants to purchase a new dress ... " Crazy Sam      

 was tempted to read on because her wardrobe could use sprucing up.) What does Google tell us you want?  I seemingly want for Nothing.  

However, Google wanted me to read an article from Artisan's Guild about Tetrachromats. My sister and I took a test for it once; we found out that we have it.  I think it's a Native American trait. I married a man who is partially color blind, but our daughters are like me.  See how that works? ;o)

3) This hit record was an accident. Marcie Blaine had just graduated from high school and had a few days before she had to take off for her summer job as a camp counselor. A friend asked her to record a couple songs he'd written, just so he could play them for record labels and song publishers. Her friend was hoping somehow an established star would hear the songs, record them and make one of them a hit. Instead, a producer at Seville Records said he wanted not just the songs but especially the unknown girl who was singing them, and Marcie became a recording artist. Tell us about a favor you're very glad you did for a friend.  That is a beautiful story!   

To answer the question: I'm always glad to do a favor for a friend.  I made two pairs of short fingered gloves for a friend's dear wife.  She is in chemo.  People in chemo have a heck of a time keeping warm enough.  I still make sf gloves for the chemo patients at Elle's clinic, but covid19 - and a broken elbow and shoulder - has somewhat messed it all up. I'm getting back on tract.

4) By the time summer was over, and Marcie's gig as a counselor was done, she was #3 on the charts. Her record stayed in the "Hot 100" for 19 weeks and, for the second half of 1962, she was the top-selling female singer in the US. What female singer do you listen to most often?
Mostly Barbra Streisand and a good bit of Bette Mettler.

 
5) After "Bobby's Girl" took off, she recorded it in German for the European market. Only she didn't speak German, so she sang it phonetically. Can you sing any songs in a language other than English? Most singers do this.  I've been a singer since I was a tot.  So, I have learned songs in Italian, Spanish, German and, strangely, a few in Japanese.  If you are a singer, you'll learn a lot of songs phonetically - or in other words - by ear.

6) Seville rushed Marcie into the studio to make more records. None of them charted higher than #68, and Marcie wasn't having fun. After a year of being a rock 'n roller, she enrolled at Queens College in New York City. What's the most recent class you took?  Art History. Ages ago.

7) In 1962, when this song was popular, the most popular baby names were Michael and Lisa. Are there any Michaels or Lisas in your life?  There are no Lisa's but there's now one Michael. 

8) Also in 1962, Marlene White, the first African American flight attendant for a major US airline, appeared on the cover of Jet magazine. What's the last magazine you flipped through? Was it in print or online?  That would be an Audubon Magazine, in print.

9) Random Question: After enjoying a long, relaxing weekend, do you find yourself more or less productive on Monday morning?  Since being retired, weekends don't exist for me anymore.  There are no weekends. 

Dear readers, if you would like to join in please go HERE to the linkie for all the other Niner's contributions.  

 

 



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

16 comments:

  1. I found her greatest hits on You Tube and I sure enjoyed it. I have a CD of her favorites somewhere. I love being retired. Some days I don't even know what day it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world would be hurting without YouTube, I think. It's helped to keep me at least a tad saner. lol Oh yes, on the not knowing what day it is. Me, either! Finally I decided that I was looking GAGA in the face and needed to shape up.

      Delete
  2. #2 I had to look up Tetrachromats, interesting!
    #6 I had to take an Art History class in college, I hated it. But at least now I can identify the period the painting was done in, I still don't like Baroque or Renaissance art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tetrachromatasy is pretty rare, but then so is the testing for it. Sometimes science doesn't see things until it looks intensely for them. It's time for that to be done! lol
      Art history is even boring for artists, well, some artists, mostly the backward Looking worshippers of Art. I still am in love with tiny Michelangelo. He was rather short. He was like some sort of miracle. Sorry to be so late answering the comments. so ba-ad. :-(

      Delete
  3. How lovely that you make those short fingered gloves! I bet the cold fingers are something first-time chemo patients just aren't prepared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to be so tardy in answering all the comments.
      I'd bet freezing cold hands are one of the untold consequences of chemo, too.
      My daughter asked it of me, that I would make them for all the people in her chemo clinic as a sort of tribute, or a "dying wish" is how she put it, to her from me. So far, I've been able to honor it.

      Delete
  4. Interesting about the tetrachromats. I'd never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for comments to my blog. About Tetrachromats. My sister, bro, and I hadn't heard of it either, but it makes perfect sense once we knew we weren't just being ultra picky about what color matched what. My bro and sis and I were always looking at each other when most OP talked about color.

      My house is green, the walls are green (most of them) but hubby sees shades of grey or tan. He doesn't fight with me over color anymore, since he left part of our house yellow because he can't see the difference between sunshine yellow and Seafoam green.
      OMG I've written you a book!

      Delete
  5. I am so excited to retire and have every day be the weekend! But I have a handful of years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to LOVE it! We started Rock hounding in those years with a club, and just had an amazing first 15 years with them, climbing all over the rocks and picking up materials.

      Delete
  6. I had to look up Tetrachromats. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock to us, to find out that it was a "condition" but explained so much about even our art teachers being pinheads.... lol or so we thought.

      Delete
  7. I love that you make gloves for chemo patients. Just imagine the heartwarming feeling they get when they put on those gloves. I imagine it is that kind of kindness that helps them along. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori, for you comment, and wishes. Making them has healed my heart somewhat as well. She knew I would need a purpose in life.
      I am hoping that it will become a world wide movement, even fingerless gloves help with the freezing fingers but the gloves are amazing. Fleece ones are sort of ok but there's nothing like Woolens.

      Delete
  8. One of the things about being off a regular weekday work schedule is the loss of routine. I've had a difficult time with that from the start, and continue to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your patience in waiting for a reply.

      And Oh Boy to I hear you about the days of the week. I need to put myself back on a weekly schedule and make a new ToDo list as well as a HoneyDoList for the hubster. We've both gotten a little slack, me worse than him though.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..