"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, June 24, 2005

Eating Habits of Tortoises

Oh Karen, Oh yes, they are voracious. They will eat anything, Eppies, orchids or lilies, succulant plants, etc, that are in their reach. They eat the flowers and the leaves of the roses, but at least they leave enough for me to enjoy. The rose bushes have a neat trim line underneath them as far up as the torts can reach. But, sadly, they eat any lily, including my wonderful orientals down to a nub. The little brats have caused me tears and cost real $$, especially if you know the cost of oriental lilies.

I've learned that tortoises can't be kept out except with high walls too knobbly and straight (if it's inclined, they will get up it) for them to get a toe hold on. This afternoon Poko had gotten onto the deck from the rose bed and was eating the succulants that hang over the edge of the big wooden planter. Happily there are plenty of those to go around. I am not so generous with my giant Swartzias. They are too few and far between so I must save them from tortoise encroachment.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks!
    One never stops learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karen, I know so little about most things but have, by default, learned far more about browsing reptiles than I ever wished to. =o)

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..