"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Thursday, July 6, 2006

X is for Xenophobia

xenophobia
n : an irrational fear of foreigners or strangers

I have a very personal dislike of this irrational fear and it's destructive results.

The first time a child encounters this is when it moves out into the wider world controlled by parents within their own home. As they step out the door with the child in hand, they are taking it into a foreign world. This happens in modern democracies, ancient feudal societies, and even within the so- called communal societies.

My personal story.

I felt this fear of strangers on the part of a society for the first time when my kindergarten teacher refused to let me ride a full sized, stuffed pinto horse, ever. This was when every other child in the room had ridden it at least three times over the year in which we had been given this award. I alone was singled out for this humiliation.

Not much later, just before school was out for the year, my first grade teacher was talking to the second grade teacher as I sat across from her, and I can remember exactly what was said. "Well, you get her next year, pointing at me." She wasn't smiling. I felt afraid of her. I was well behaved, quiet, and already was reading fourth grade books. I could add, subtract, multiply and divide. My father taught me at home. My sin, in their eyes, was I appeared to be what Los Angeles county feared the most, a mixed race child, something that all the "white" class feared, like some sort of future demon. Unfortunately for me, they made an assumption that my father was Mexican, and they could easily see that my mother was "white". This stigma followed me all the way through the Los Angeles School District and didn't abate when we moved inland to the schools of San Bernardino County. I can't tell you how humiliating it was to have an irrational fear rule my life, and my school experience, and my destiny. There was no reason behind it but fear, xenophobia, because my name was French and they were too ignorant to break away from the stereotyping and "profiling"long enough to see that they were wrong. Happily, when I came back from Ohio with my mother at the end of summer, we moved away, and I didn't go to that particular grade school anymore.

If this had been before World War II instead of after, I would have been forced to attend a school to which all the segregated "Mexican" and Black children were sent. It was a law that had been passed, in the county, but which was repealed sometime after the war. That law, though repealed, still followed children whose names where considered Spanish surnames, and the African America children, through the rest of their education and limited severely their opportunities. If you want to know what America was like in the Forties and Fifties, I'll tell you. If you were not wanted, it was brutal and xenophobic. Many of my fellow outcasts acted out and fell into gang patterns because of the brick wall they ran into from all white school boards and administrations who were afraid to lose power or to share it with a growing demographic of Californians who had been there since before any "whites" showed up for the gold rush. Old Spanish families were treated just as badly. I think me experiences have made me the person I am, though they could have made me into what many became, broken and discontented under achievers who passed this on to their own children.

That's my personal experience with XENOPHOBIA, well, part of it anyway but this is long enough.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes. The Fear Of. And so much of it is coming straight from the brain stem bypassing the cortex completely. This is the lazy man's way of dealing with the world...it deals without the effort of thinking. It is much easier not to, ya know.

    We have made laws and programs to correct this, but over time the back slide to progress is well into the slip. It seems that we have use our cortex to become more subtle. Instead of overt segregation we allow it to just happen. The school systems are a prime example and we are throwing away so many bright minds. Of course, you DO know that it is more important to spend public funds on a new stadium than it is to teach our children.

    Labels, ya gotta love it. And what is so damned evil is that there is the joy one gets when the other is hurt.

    I try to be a good person and not respond in a volatile manner. But so many times it seems impossible. It is human to judge others, it is human to be unsure of the "different" yet for those who hang onto their uncertainties and irrational fears in the face of reason, makes me want to do battle. All this thinking does it set up a different standard for those who are in power...usually white male. They can do as they interpret. And everyone else be damned.

    In the section of town I live in, I see a lot of that, and that is one of the main reasons I stay to myself and don't socialize. I do not, and will never, subscribe to their Values. How can this be dealt with calmly, after seeing so much of it around and in the past?

    Funny, when I was little I remember the hearings, etc about segregation in the south. My mother was from Ark. and my dad was from Cleveland, where we lived. The north thought what was going on was terrible, and it was...and both of my parents felt the same way. The late 60's rolled around and when I graduated from HS, my mother was going to sell the house and we were going to leave the area. Our neighbors were in a panic and were starting a petition to prevent us from selling the house to a black family. We were so poor, we had to get rid of that house. And the so called "just" people, were terrified of the black people.

    My heart broke for you. To treat a little girl in such a vicious fashion is the height of cowardice. Sure, they may have been acting as they were taught, but in their heart they made a choice to stay on the Hateful Track. I am so sorry Lella.

    And now, we are terrified of any little shadow. We are told to be afraid...and we listen and jump.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes my blood boil! My nephews have been treated unfairly by teachers and other people in power because they are half black, and it makes me so mad! I try to teach my kids that people are people, and it does not matter what they look like or what language they speak. If the certain person is mean or bad; stay away from that certain person. You can't tell if a person is good or bad or smart or not by the color of their skin, how they act is what matters. I wish this world would get smart and start acting right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a horrible thing to do to a child. I hope our schools are better now, but I'm not sure they always are. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. What fear and ignorance can do and how deep and lasting are the wounds from our childhood. I hope your mother was a source of support and wisdom during this time, although I don't think there would be any possible way to explain such cruel behavior from adults to a child. Unfortuntately, bigotry is still alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame that especially teachers - who should be equipped with skills that ought to make them "know better" - do and say things that leave such lasting negative impressions.

    I am sorry that you had to experience that and especially sorry that you have carried that load around with you for your entire life.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..