"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Grandmother and André


Memories of Childhood

This is my mother's mother holding my little brother André, who died of grand mal seizures when he was five years old. My mother went into a depression after he passed away, and my Psycho Dad destroyed most of the pictures of André in a  fit of bad temper.  The paternal unit could never admit to producing such a "defective child" and didn't like any reminders.  This is what my mother told me about it later.  Mother was calm and not someone who resorted to hyperbole.

Mother was able to salvage this picture, one of two that exist of my brother.

There's nothing quite like living with a completely out of control male adult to make you hyper aware of your surroundings at all time. Celéste was one year old at the time that that André passed away.

My grandmother died in the same year as my little brother. So now I'm understanding much more about my own early life knowing what was going on with the adults around me at the time.

To youngsters and young adults out there going through hell, I'd like you to know that you can grow up and have a happy life if you can manage to forgive, and get the maniacs out of your life in time if they still haven't managed to become decent human beings. Leave but tell them why. Even if you think they don't deserve a word. That's my advice, because it leaves no questions in your OWN mind that you did all you could. You can forget, once you forgive, and let their influence fade out of your life. You can become a truly happy person.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. seizures were a serious disorder, and there was a huge amount of social stigma associated with them..

    (my sister had seizures, and we knew about the stigma--it tainted not just the child effected, but the whole family.

    Its hard to understand, how your father could behave the way he did, but he was a product of his times.

    things a bit better today (well in some circles!) but there are still pockets of populations that are afraid, and superstitious about them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your little brother. So much pain sprinkled so liberally.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I'll be.. that's right! Thank you! I had forgotten about the stigma re: "fits". And there were no very good treatments for the disease in the 40s. It took some time to get it diagnosed, I remember that part. My brother died in 1951. There was a drug that slowly destroyed your liver, for instance. Yes, I'll bet there are still pockets of ignorance out there. Possession by demons, and all that rot. What humans will get up to...

    And that paternal unit is just as mean today as he was then. My sibs and I think of him as PsychoDad though he has no discernable mental problems. Like many others of his time, my deceased FIL, he just likes to be mean, a feeling of power in a weak man.

    PuggleTrouble, thank you for your comment. And yes, a lot of pain, as you say, liberally sprinkled. What reminded me was that picture of Gran and André, and a recent convo about the past.

    I'm starting to forget my childhood, which can't be all bad. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. We take back the power over our own lives and ourselves. We don't allow those sick people to determine whether or not we will enjoy our lives. I am in charge of me. You are in charge of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your losses and impressed by your courage in talking about all of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, dear MagnusMog.

    About that paternal unit: The more distance through time, the easier to talk about it.

    I lived in fear of the old PU freak for a good many years, as did my mother. He is sooo not important now to me. He can rot where he sits. My Bro and I, who bore the brunt of his brutality, are free at last... Freeeeedommmmm!

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..