"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, November 2, 2012

Friday Fill-ins, Bead Shop Crawl, Two pounds of lovely wool bits arrive.

1. I was born during a full moon.
2. But I don't howl when the moon is full.
3. When we laugh at adversity, we sometimes die.
4. But, maybe to die laughing is the best!
5. Underneath it all I remind myself that nothing in this world is real.
6. Oh! And thanks for that, Dear God in Heaven!
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to eating solid food, tomorrow my plans include finish making another cornucopia decoration, and Sunday, I want to knit, eat Halloween candy, and read

Wednesday this week, my sis and I hit the local bead shop.   This is being typed late, and I need some daylight to take pictures of my tiny haul but one thing I did find out.  Silver findings cost an arm and a leg now, even tiny head pins are over a buck a piece.  OUCH!  We went home and recovered with some tea and a chinwag about Victorian stuff and a space heater near disaster.  She showed me all her current projects and if anyone can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, it's my sister.  She's a master crafter!  I know, so boring. 

Yesterday was All Saint's Day.  I spent most of it recovering from a monster headache that woke me up at 4:30 am.  I slept a good part of the day.  Since I believe in Saints and Angels, this is a good day.  "All Hallows Eve" is another name for yesterday, and "The Day of the Dead", in Mexico.  It's really a day for honoring loved ones who have moved on to the real world.
 
A while ago (after having seen a list of such places before from one of the Biggies in Saving the Earth) I searched the web for predator friendly places to find raw wools of many colors for felting.   I found  this place, Becky Weed's Thirteen Mile Lamb and Wool Company    Though she didn't have the specific wool product for sale that I wanted, she kindly put together a couple of pounds for me anyway.  Yay, Becky!  I am delighted with what she sent, two pounds of assorted colors from her flock, of bits and pieces that were left over from the edges of fleeces, some washed, some raw.  I reckon that I've got a tutorial period, and when that is done, I'll have very soft hands from the lanolin.  When I get done, I hope to know how to do a whole fleece for spinning. 

One side, and, the Flip side
I will have to plot out, all over again,  how to wash raw wool, and care for it afterwards.  I guess it's, "pick, soak, soak, soak, and then wash, rinse, rinse rinse, dry, pick, comb, and Bob's your Uncle!  At least I hope that's what it is.  I'll try not to felt it!  This isn't actual knitting, but it's a close cousin.

Halloween Hearth:
They all light up and look very cute
My little wake up call in June or whenever it was has made me want to decorate for all the reasonable holidays, and Halloween is one of them.

Sadly, teens aren't trick or treating much anymore, so we have a lot of candy left.  I reckon the teens go to parties or they stay home and baby sit (for very big bucks) so that adults can go out, run around, and howl at the moon!

I miss the elderly twins who used to come by, in costume, and collect candy.  I never cared how old anyone was, and as long as they were in costume, they got candy.  Some of the teens were so big that it was scary, since they dressed up like characters in horror flicks.  But, life should be fun, eh?  Anyway, I miss them.  At least I didn't have to figure out what to do with so much left over candy.

2 comments:

  1. Daughter and I went trick-or-treating, long after it was seemly. that was back in the little town, and everybody knew us, so it was okay. I don't know that I could do it here.
    I kind of miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's cute that adults dress up and take their kids around. They get candy too, here at our door. Mostly it's neighbors who are probably going to go to a party later. Halloween parties have overtaken trick or treating, and seems like a shame that's happened. But, one good thing is that it's probably a lot more safe for the kiddies. It's so sad about the "whys and wherefores" of that situation. Modern life is toxic sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..