"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday 9, Saturday Komeekz, Fish stew, Inukshuk.



And, away we go!  Join in the fun at the linked title below or button logo above:
Saturday 9: That's My Kind of Night

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, our hero offers to take his girl down to the river to catch a catfish dinner. What is your favorite seafood?  Sadly, I can't eat my favorite one, Lobster, anymore.  But, I can eat all finned fish, and then my favorite got endangered: Red Snapper.  So!  I now I have Halibut, which is still very good, and Cod, which I love as fish and chips, and in Mamma Vera's  fish stew.  Recipe follows.

2) Luke Bryan went to Georgia State University, home of the Panthers. What was your school mascot? A Great Big Bear!

3) Have you ever tried acupuncture?  No.  But I'd like to try it next time I have a flare-up.

4) Just last night, Crazy Sam threw away a jar of Miracle Whip because it expired in September 2013. Is your refrigerator neat and organized? Or is it a disaster area, like Sam's?  I'm head of  the Casa Zippita Range and Fridge Police, so yes, it is.
5) Which is more important to you -- saving time or saving money?  Both are important.  I do both and it keeps my spending under control and I like doing things that take time anyway.

 
6) Sam's next door neighbor is named Jim. He's retired, smokes a pipe and drives a red Corolla. Tell us about one of your neighbors.  The last of the old guard?  She's nice to me now.  It took years but she's finally figured out that we are normal, just not her normal, and we always liked her in our funny little way.

 
7) What's the most recent magazine you flipped through?  Sunset.  My kid gave me a gift subscription.  There was a yummy ginger cookie recipe in it and we enjoyed those over the holidays.

 
8) Could your vehicle use a trip to the car wash right now?  Yes, it's SoCal.  You get wet nights and then the trash trucks (or UPS/FedEx) come by and stir up all manner of yuckie dust!



 
9) Did you hit the snooze button this morning?
No, but I did see what time it was and rolled over and slept another half hour.  hehe.  This is the beauty of being retired.


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!


Saturday Komeekz:  Keeping with a semi-nautical theme




Mama Vera's Fish Stew

Ingredients:
One pound of fillets of any white, firm fish. Little more is ok.
3/4 cup of sliced onion.
One cup of sliced carrots

One half cup of sliced celery 
Fresh dill  and fresh basil leaves

One medium can of Whole Tomatoes
A quart of water.


Directions:


In big sauce pan, brown the onions, then cool them a bit and add water.  Don't get burned!


Bring water back up to a simmer.  Simmer the fillets, with about a tablespoon of fresh dill, a few basil leaves, and all the onions, until fish is done - it flakes and turns opaque - usually from 7 to 10 minutes, give or take. 


This with a slotted spoon, carefully remove fish and onion and you can try for the herbs, too, but no sweat.  Set aside in a bowl.


Bring back to a simmer.  Into the simmering fish stock put a cup of sliced carrots, a half cup of sliced celery, little bit more dill and basil, and cook until they are tender.  


Add a medium sized can of whole tomatoes, juice and all, first breaking up the tomatoes with fingers,  and reheat.


Add back in the fish and the onion and bring them to heat.

 
Serve in bowls  with a nice crusty Italian bread.


I doubled this recipe for my family.  I also used frozen halibut, thawed, for the fish when fresh wasn't available.  Actually, most of the time. lol


-----------

Fun stuff:   Just for fun, some rock people at the door.
I can see that mine need some improvement, so I'll rebuild them soon.  They have lots of friends on the other side of the plant pot now.  I was a busy bee!
Mine need round heads!!
Have a lovely Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. DD1 is a member of the fridge Police, but since she doesn't come to visit often I have to police myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm happy to know that there are active officers of the F&R around and about still.

      I've learned the hard way that shopping and cooking does not automatically translate to cleaning appliances. DH doesn't do toaste, coffee maker - though he's the only coffee drinker, nor does he clean ranges or the Fridge. One day, in the fridge I found six empty butter tubs, just empty, and a couple of very strange cultures in containers that used to hold hot salsa, something I don't eat. He's partially color blind and did not KNOW they were every shade of green as well as the normal dull red. I also am the bread inspector now. I am allergic to molds, and want to live! hahaha

      Delete
  2. I highly recommend acupuncture. It can be helpful for all types of things. But you have to give it a chance - it might take six or seven visits before you notice improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your input. I'm thinking of trying it for my thumbs! And if it works for me, I'll try to talk my sister into getting some treatments for her back. She is in constant pain now, poor thing.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..