"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Friday, November 25, 2016

Saturday9: Baby's in Black, and goodbye Black Friday. *sobs*

Baby's in Black

We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 

Saturday 9: Baby's in Black (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday, November 25, was "Black Friday," when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?  
I bought a handmade singing bowl from Tibet, or rather, from Nepal, for half price!  I am Chuffed!  Of course we are not going to get that fuzzy little white rescue dog I want.  *Sobs out her heart*

2) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
Nope!  But we will be eating some delicious jello dessert that was left-over from yesterday.

3) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table?  
I loved everything.  But, I'll tell you... the delicious green beans with big mushroom slices and usually forbidden bacon (salt) were especially inviting.  BIG YUM!

4) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?   $100?  Macy's.  I like everything I've seen from there.

5) This week's song, "Baby's in Black," is about a girl who wears black because she's in mourning. Do you find that the color you're wearing reflects your mood?
No.  I actually like black clothing a lot.  The only thing depressing yesterday was the long litany about someone that was dying of cancer and this from a clueless relative who just has little common sense.  Can you tell I'm still recovering?  This is a bad time to stand anywhere near a grieving Mom and go on and on about things like that.  
 
6) The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and his bandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship.   I think friendships endure because of common interests, affection, and fun things that you do together, even if just remotely.  My sisface and I will sometimes start texting stories and it goes back and forth until we run out of ideas or energy.  Very fun!  Also, it's partly what you go through together that strengthens the bonds.  I have a friend who calls me Sisface that I thoroughly adore. She  and I have had so much fun.  And my BFF., Meffie? We go way, way back.  That's a whole lot of love there. 

7) In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song or poem that you're going to finish "someday?"   I have several finished poems, songs, and paintings.  I've never aspired to write a novel, and really don't think I've got that talent.  But I can write songs and poetry like some sort of muse lives in my head and heart.  I think it comes from loving music so much.  Maybe it's a Native American talent?  Someone sings to me in dreams.  I've never seen who, but they do.

8) When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided there was no place like home and stayed in England. Have you ever thought about moving to another country? If so, where?  We've thought of moving to (or we discuss being born again into) Iceland, Norway, South of France, or even British Columbia, Canada.  I'd like to be in any of these places but also nearer the coast.  But with global climate change, not reaaaally close to it.

9)  Random question: Finish this sentence -- If you want me to give you "yes" for an answer, the best time to approach me is after you've explained to me just what you have in mind.  Otherwise, stay back!  However, if it's you, Sam, or any of the other Niner's or Thieves, well, you just come on up, and I'll give you a great, big hug.  


12 comments:

  1. Hugs to you, too, Mme. Zippi!

    It's funny you mention green beans. I had asparagus with my turkey and it was very good, but I had a taste for green beans.

    Sometimes I want another cat, so I understand what you're saying. There are so many lovely and loving little companions in shelters that it breaks your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Group Hug!
      asparagus sounds great for Thanksgiving. My niece made broiled asparagus last year and it was a massive hit with everyone.
      I know what you mean about wanting to save another little life. And yes, it breaks the heart. Maybe I will get that little dog for my Birthday? ;o)

      Delete
  2. I love your new holiday heading!

    And hugs to you, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you about the blog header, Kwizgiver, and hugs right back to you!
      I just found out that Blogger will support other images for backgrounds so played with that as well. I Love Christmas time.

      Delete
  3. I am always learning something from you, Zippi....what is a singing bowl?

    And thank you for the virtual hug, here's one back to you! ((((hug))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Stacy, You got closer, so ((((hugging)))) you back!

      A singing bowl rings like a bell-though it truly is bowl shaped - and it can give out the most amazing sounds. It's coming tomorrow from Amazon. I can't wait to get my hands on it! I'll put up a picture or you can see it:
      https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wsnrKu9zL._AC_US160_.jpg

      Delete
  4. Hugs to you back! And a singing bowl sounds like a wonderful thing to be chuffed about. And I am awed that someone sings to you in your sleep. What a special delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And here's yours! ((((hugs))))

      The Dream Singer is really a lovely,sweet, comforting thing. But I'm not sure who sings or why it even happens. It must be something my brain makes up for me but it's not the music or words I've ever heard in a song. Yes, it is a special delight.

      Delete
  5. Climate change DOES make it difficult to choose a different location. I have thought that it would be lovely to live in the South of France (especially after reading books like "A Year in Province") but I suspect that soon it will be waaaay too hot for me. London or Dublin may be easier, but as long as I have kids close to where we are now, there's no thought of moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Bev. I'm sad for the Islanders, especially, but tonight I saw how low parts of NYC are, too. There are so many vulnerable people all over the world. And now we have Truffle, er I mean Trump. It's late I should be asleep. lol

      Delete
  6. I actually just got some deals online at Macy's. I was impressed by what I got and for how much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister and I always went to Macy's and got new Christmas pins at their sales. I miss that and I'm sure that she does, too. You've given me an idea. I can take a bunch of pictures there at the store, or even on line, of Christmas Brooches, then send the snaps to her and let her have her pick!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..