Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
Want to play along? Go HERE
Saturday 9: Tammy (1957)In celebration of Debbie Reynolds
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
1. In this song,Tammy sings of being able to hear "the breeze from the bayou." What sounds can you hear as you answer these questions?
The hard drive of Mr. Z's computer, spinning, spinning, and spinning away.
2. This week's song was the theme of a popular movie about a girl who grew up on a houseboat in Mississippi. Looking back on 2016, did you spend much time on or around water?
A little bit. One day in mid-summer, we bought fish and chips from Pt. Loma Seafood, and then went down by the boat basin just at the end of Shelter Island to eat it. It was nice to be down by the water again, smelling the salt sea air.
3. In addition to being an Oscar-nominated actress, this week's artist, Debbie Reynolds, was a big movie fan. She amassed an amazing cache of movie memorabilia. Do you collect anything?
Well I used to collect old singer sewing machines but not anymore. There's only so many of those things that you can have. You know?
4. Though she never won a competitive Oscar for acting, Debbie Reynolds was awarded the Academy's Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award earlier this year for 60 years of charity work. While she supported many causes throughout her life, one she was closest to was The Girl Scouts. She was not only a Scout herself, she was a leader when daughter Carrie was young and a fundraiser throughout her life. Were you ever in Boy or Girl Scouts?
I was a brownie and went all the way up through Senior Scouts. It's one of the things that saved my life and sanity. I'm forever grateful to the mom's who became our leaders and guided us through some troubled waters.
In the past, as when Barona Casino hosted free fire works shows on the Bay, and we were younger and a lot more impervious to freezing our buns off, so we'd go. I have no idea what they are up to this year. So I guess that's a "No"? I'm also not a fan of scaring the living daylights out of Migratory birds who are going down the Pacific flyway to South America, or the local birds for that matter. Yes, I am a brass plated crank. Yes, yes, 'Tis the agéd who become afflicted with these "grumperina" tendencies.
7. According to the National Insurance Bureau, more cars are stolen on New Year's Eve than any other single day. Are you confident your vehicle(s) will be safe and sound this Saturday night?
Not now I'm not!
8. Do you have any New Year's Resolutions for 2017?
Yes, and they are posted for Thursday 13. It seemed like the best thing to do with that other fun little meme.
9. Looking back on 2016, what surprised you?
Many things surprised me in 2016, but it's best not to dwell on them. It is the fate of humans to have memories, and therefore both "pasts" and "futures". But we don't really have those things, because the past is done with and over, set forever as a grim omen? And.,...and the future is by no means guaranteed.
And, remember, all you Orange Windbag watchers, that it ain't over until it's over. Of that you can be sure.
Happy New Year all you boys and girls for the 9ers. God love ya! And may you have a good year not matter how hard the wind(bag) blows.