"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Thursday, October 26, 2017

The Moral Majority.. Circa 1964.

When I was expecting our first child, we lived across the street from a minister and his lovely wife.  She could take a soap box and make a doll closet with it that was a rival for the Barbie ones that were selling in the stores.  But that's an aside..

One day they invited me to a rally, where they said that there was to be speakers from the Moral Majority, which was gathering strength.  It didn't become incorporated until 1978, when the money they were pulling in had to be protected, it was starting to look like a PAC which of course a religious organization can not be.  It was a new Pentecostal movement.  So, I accompanied them.  We heard many speakers that evening, not the least of which was Oral Roberts.  He gave a speech that brought the house down but literally made me sick.  Since I was very pregnant, I told them I needed air.  So I went outside and talked to God.  I knew in my heart of hearts where this sort of thing ends up.  It ends up as an extremist movement that can take hold and kill a democracy.

It's shape shifted a little, but the same rock bottom Vision, if you can call it that, still prevails to this day.  It is aberrant in a free Society where religion is not EVER supposed to run a government.  It is unconstitutional.

That evening is when I was first introduced to a group of very dedicated people, who should have known better, but who eventually spawned something that threatens freedom of religion, and wants to rewrite the constitution.  Their purpose and aims are the same as the Moral Majority, of whom some one said that they were neither Moral nor were they the Majority.

They and their offspring have been Forcing Armageddon since that time, and as far as I know, I'm the first person to ever use that term, from back in 1964 when I told God I would never think that this was right.  I got pretty vocal about it.  I love the Constitution.  I want us to remain free.  God GAVE us free wills.  It's no one's business to make sure we toe any line other than what we ALL agree on.  You can't run the country with a minority of the popular vote.  You get in to big trouble that way.


If we want a free country, we can't have any religious group running it, or trying to roll back the calendar to make the more humane society we have built in spite of them, into their version of what God wants on Earth.  

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts (and fears) are with the US every single day. The developments are worrisome, to say the least, and it has me grieving to see where things are going in a country that I learned to love in the many years I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen. Thank you for this. It's going to be a real challenge to get our democracy back, since it's been eroding away for a long, long time. Maybe enough people are not awake to the problems of letting such an insidious factor invade the whole government. The sad thing is that to many of the citizens will swallow a lot of unsavory things, if the packaging is right, like this horrid white house and congress that now hold sway.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..