"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Friday, May 25, 2018

Saturday 9: "GI Blues" by Elvis..


If you want to play along in the MEME, just go HERE

Want to listen?  Go HERE

Personal Note:  To all the Service men and women out there...  No matter what I think of the Politicos, I think the world of you.  Thank you for your service.



1) Are you a veteran? Are there veterans in your family? Do you know anyone who is active military? (We are grateful and want to hear about it.)
I am not a veteran.  There were, and are, veterans in my family, and at least one in my husband's family.  He's in the Coast Guard and he's just a great kid!  Love him to bits!

2) In this song, Elvis sings about marching, and complains that the Army doesn't give Purple Hearts for fallen arches. Do you have any aches or pains to report this morning?  
I feel about the same as I always feel.  Like I have "One foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel."  I wish I'd thought that up but I heard it first from my honorary Big Brother, who was a veteran, and whom I will never, EVER, forget.  

3) This song is from the 1960 film of the same name. In the movie, Elvis is in The 32nd Armor Regiment of the United States Army. That's the same regiment he served with in real life. He had the 32nd written into the script as a shout-out to the soldiers he came to know, but realized he'd likely never see again. Is there an old friend you're missing this weekend? 
My honorary big brother... *Hugs sent to Heaven for you, Jerry K*

4) Memorial Day kicks off the summer season. What's your favorite picnic food? 
I absolutely LOVE my grandma's potato salad.  I make it every summer a couple of times at least.  My kids know how to make it, too.

5) Let's celebrate the Memorial Day holiday with ice cream. What's your favorite flavor? Cone or cup?  I'll have some Jamoca Almond Fudge in a cone.. one of the crispy folded around a hot iron sort of cone... And that's Butter Pecan on the bottom and  though you can't have two favorites of course, I do!  

This is a photo from some really grabby website that I really didn't want to mess with.. I wish I had my own picture but alas..... This cone is from Big Olaf's on Catalina Island.  Now I'm hungry.  Darn it, see what you did?  ;o)


SOURCE

5) This marks the weekend when Americans step up their outdoor activity and do things they may not have been able to do during the winter months. For example, when is the last time you applied mosquito repellent? 
Sometime in the Year 1985....  I think all the mosquitoes perished in the drought, or at least most of them did.

7) Or swam?
Sometime in the late 90's in a water aerobics class with some friends. I quit going into the ocean about that time, too.  My knee was really a mess.  In fact the last time I was in the ocean was when we rescued the teenage twins from a rip tide along the rocks at Torrey Pines.  Mr. Z and I really had our hands full for about twenty minutes.  Very Hard swimming!  Scary as hell!  No life guard and .... well, you know how kids are if you have them.  

8) As you answer these questions, is there an air conditioner or fan on?  
No, and that's a little unusual.  It's been a cool (and very welcome it is) late spring early summer so far.

9) Random question: How do you define success?
Living out the entirety of your life span without committing Sepuko.  Life isn't easy but you have to do it.
I never forget that, "This, too, shall pass."  It's the only way to roll.... 
Whatever it takes to get out of here, ONCE AND FOR ALL, and see my kid, Mom, and my little Bro again, I'm doing it. 

12 comments:

  1. It's so good to see you playing along, Zippy! I've missed you! I hope you are doing well. Funny thing, once upon a time I had a blog called "One Foot on a Banana Peel."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and it’s Good to be back, Stacy. I had to get my head right and exit the roller coaster, too. It still comes and goes, but at least I can handle it better. I did miss the comradely of these two memes. The banana peel thing is so hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back!

    #7 -- WOW! You and Mr. Z are a matching set of heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thsnks Gal. I love your meme. #7. I know rip tides as I’ve been caught in one or two, and the minute I saw it carrying them away, we dove in and brought them out of it. At a beach, I’m hyper vigilant. It took twenty minutes at least of hard swimming but God had to be helping, I swear it ...

      Delete
  3. I agree. living life without committing Sepuko is a good goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana. Im sure you’ve heard the tongue in cheek saying that “life is hell and then you die.” I’m firmly a believer in this assessment. Lol!

      Delete
  4. "One foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel." It is no wonder why you are so loved around here Zip :) I think we have all been on that peel before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind to say so, my friend. I also believe this is a lovely “hen party” in which to be a member of the flock. And, oh Yes, we all have been on that darn banana peel... 😂

      Delete
  5. Glad to see you back, Zippy. I bet that time in the rip tide was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CountryDew, I’ll keep doing these weekend memes as long as they and I are on the same “plane”.
      And yes, it was terrifying. I didn’t know until the last few minutes whether we’d all make it or not. Rip tides are no joke at all. We stood on the rocks gasping and shivering for a good long time. Only one other person, a surfer was there.. I think he was struck dumb as well.

      Delete
  6. Your ice cream made my mouth water.

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you liked the photo. If you ever get to Catalina Island, look that place up. And Rosie’s Fish Market on Catalina has the best fish and chips on the west coast, too.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..