"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, June 2, 2018

Saturday9: Perry Como: It's Impossible. Plus, (Language alert. hahaha.) Tremors clip...

Thank you Gal!  I love Perry Como.  

Other Peeps:  If you want to join in (or read other entries) go here and scroll to the Linkie.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it HERE

1) In this song, Mr. Como maintains it's impossible to ask a baby not to cry. When did you most recently hold a baby? Did you ask him or her not to cry?  
I haven't held a baby for about 20 years.  My niece's daughter was the last baby I held.  My niece turns 50 today.  

Happy Birthday Darling Girl!

Back to babies: They have to cry to exercise their new, tiny lungs, so, if they have this little "physical fitness" thing going, you are not going to be able to make them stop.

2) Perry Como was known for his casual, easy going style. Therefore people were surprised to learn that he could lose his temper. His long-time musical director reported that bad drivers really got under Perry's skin. What is one of your pet peeves?
Oh, well, I'd say you should just read the side bar and pick out any peevish thing over there that you like.  

3) Though Perry Como was born in Pennsylvania, he didn't speak English until he began grade school. His parents were Italian immigrants and the family only spoke Italian at home. Do you know any words/phrases in Italian?
Yes, I do.  I understand and read some Italian but, of course, I can't write or speak it.  PsychoDad and my paternal uncles spoke Italian because they'd all been to Italy during WWII and because they already knew Spanish.  The two languages are not identical but they are close enough....

4) He met Roselle, the girl he would marry, when they were both still in high school. Tell us about a high school classmate you were crazy about back in the day.
A kid called Dale.  From grade school on through two years of high school, he was the guy.  I admired him from afar but really, I think he thought I was beneath him. School chums we were not. 

5) When he was just 14, his father's ill health made it essential that Perry begin working after school to help support his family. He apprenticed to a barber but was so short, he had to stand on a box when he cut hair. Again, going back to school, were you taller than your classmates? Shorter? Or were you the average height for a kid your age?
Average height compared to all my friends.

6) While taping his annual holiday special in 1971, he fell from a platform and broke his knee. He had to wear a cast and endure 8 months of rehab. Have you ever broken a bone?  
Indeed.  I broke well more than 8 of them, in my hand and wrist, plus the upper part of my radius.  The surgeon who put it all back together was a ministering angel.  I had some sort of mental event because I felt hostile from some reaction to the anesthetic, and he and his staff handled it (no pun intended) like Angels.  The PT who worked with me was an absolute crack up, too!  

7) During the decades when he was a recording and television star, Perry Como was also an avid golfer. He was so popular that many of the best pro golfers of the day -- Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, etc. -- were happy to play with him. It's estimated that it takes about 4 hours to play 18 holes of golf. What celebrity would you most like to hang around with for four hours?
Miss Minnie Pearl.  We'd sing a bit, she'd talk a lot, and we'd drink tea, and eat a lot of cookies.



8) After he retired, Perry's passion switched from golf to fishing in the waters near Palm Beach, Florida. His catch of the day often ended up as his family's dinner. What's for dinner at your house tonight?
Pizza!  And we are going to watch a silly movie of some sort.  Maybe one of the "Tremors" movies.  That series is a total GAS!  



9) Random question -- They say "birds of a feather, flock together." But that's not always true. Can you think of an area where you are out of step with most of your friends/family?
Since Family is a flock you are born or marry into, I'll just say that I'm a Cuckoo that was left in the nest, and that when I wed, it didn't look good for a long time there either.  I'm a country girl.
Friends?  As long as they put up with me, I put up with them.  But I hold them dear in my heart forever and ever.

19 comments:

  1. That Minnie Pearl clip is great. Where else can you hear the word "sparking?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spanish and Italian are close? That's interesting. We had friends who were Mexican and friends who were Filipino and they were often able to understand each other because their languages were very similar. I wonder if Italians and Filipinos can communicate then?

    Thanks for sharing that clip. How cool to see those three greats on the stage together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question, Stacy. :o) And the answer is no but it's not that simple. That's because almost all natives of the Philippine Islands speak Tagalog. Filipinos are of pure Spanish descent, and of course then, since Spain ruled there so long, both groups were fluent in Spanish. It was the "Official" language.

      I don't think a Filipino would have too much trouble understanding a Mexican Spanish speaker but, because the Filipinos, who spoke almost a pure Castilian Spanish, and the Mexicans speak different dialects, there would be some miscommunication, though minor. My grandmother, for instance, didn't have any problem understanding ME, but many of my cousins did because they learned their Spanish from early age and I learned my Castilian dialect from School. Grandmother spoke the same as I because she learned her Spanish in the Convent and was taught by Nuns from Spain. So my cousin was Italian and Spanish and could talk to either of his parents in their respective languages but he would have had the devil's own time trying to understand a person from the Philippines. So, no, I don't think they could communicate. HTH

      Delete
    2. Well, I see that term is now considered obsolete.

      Delete
  3. Oh, good old Minnie! She was quite the socialite, I understand in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew where she was when she wasn't acting out up there on the stage, but a Socialite could really have a lot of fun playing that role if she had the chops for it.
      Minnie was a very fun lady, and having fun with her life. She was one of a kind, was Minnie!

      Delete
  4. The only Italian that I know are swear words that my grandfather used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's a GAS! I don't know any (or can't think of) Italian ones off the top of my head, but I reveled in the British ones.. Bloody Hell, and so on. And. I still know a few really bad Spanish ones. *looks at the sky and whistles*

      Delete
  5. We had the same idea for our celebrity get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That means we two, even without the celebs, could still have a grand old time. We could eat lots of cookies and drinking tea, and we can sing our guts out! We can add knitting and maybe baby holding if any are available. Hmmm..

      Delete
  6. Minnie Pearl would've been a great gal to hang with! Come to think of it, Glen Campbell might have been fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Though for me it would have been Johnny Cash. I would have melted into a puddle to be able to sing with Johnny Cash. His private, married life I had to ignore, but I adored him as a singer and song writer.

      Delete
  7. Minnie Pearl! What fun she was.

    Your hand accident sounds gruesome. How long were you out of commission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was totally OUT there and always seemed up for fun. Loved her.

      My hand was a longer ordeal than my knee. It took a long time and messed up my knitting, and other crafts that my right hand does, and I had to re-learn the mouse for the computer and a dozen little activities that my right hand was more capable of than my left. I focused on Senator Daniel Inouye and how he got along with one arm. He's an American Treasure, if you ask me.

      https://www.history.com/news/remembering-senator-daniel-inouye-1924-2012

      Delete
  8. I haven't thought about Minnie Pearl in a long time! Great answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a hoot! Tremors and Pizza! Throw in some beer and I'll be there... or ice cream... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about some some Beer for you and a Root beer for me, and ice cream all around. Yay! My doctor would be pleased. Salve for the Heart, to have you here!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..