"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Friday, July 13, 2018

Saturday 9: Desi and Lucy? Poor Lucy

Saturday 9: I Love Lucy (1951)


Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

 


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Before today, did you know that the "I Love Lucy" theme had lyrics?
No, I didn't. 

 
2) Since its premiere in 1951, I Love Lucy has never been off the air. Are you a fan?

My mother liked it so we did watch it but I'm not really a fan.  
 
3) On the show, Ricky Riccardo supports his family by performing in a nightclub. Do you know anyone in show business?
No, not anyone.  

 
4) Lucy and Ricky's best friends are Fred and Ethel, their landlord and his wife. Are you friendly with your neighbors?
I was friendly with two or  three couples from way back, and  we are still friends with the one who is still here.   Some of the new ones now, too.  I like my new neighbors.  They are cool. 

 
5) One of the most popular episodes has Lucy and Ethel working on the conveyor belt at a chocolate factory. When did you last have chocolate? 
This morning.  I have it every morning.

 
6) Another famous episode has Lucy promoting Vitametavegimin. This tonic is made with vitamins, meat, vegetables -- and 23% alcohol. Do you read the ingredients statement before you take an over-the-counter medication? Or do you trust that it's safe because it's on the store shelf?
I read EVERY thing. 

 
7) I Love Lucy was filmed before a live audience. Desi Arnaz (Ricky) always maintained he could identify the chuckle of his mother-in-law, who attended every taping. Do you know anyone who has a distinctive laugh?
Yes, but not just the laugh.  I can still hear my mother's voice, and my daughter's, as well as the way they laughed.  

I can remember the voices of most of my aunts and some of the uncles and my grandpa's voice but not my grandmother.  I'd bet that most people who sing have a good memory for these things. 

I can still hear my Mom from when she called and the first thing she said was, "How About them Padres?!"  The Padres had just won the pennant that year.  I can still hear her voice saying that to me.  It's a blessing I am forever grateful for.
 
8) The show ended when the Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz marriage ended. Have you ever had to choose sides when a couple broke up?
Yes, and it was heart breaking.  Everyone was in shock.

 
9) Random question -- You must eat the same dinner, every day, between now and Labor Day. An identical menu, no deviation. What will you be having?

 When the heck is Labor Day?  
OK... It will be linguini with three different sauces on the side, and salad with garlic toast.  And I'll have a beer with that.  And I'll have a skinny slice of French silk chocolate pie.  Land O' Lakes recipe page.








Dear Readers:  Want to play along or read other offerings?  Go HERE

 Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

14 comments:

  1. The Cubs are playing in San Diego right now. So how about them Padres? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gosh, even though I didn't know about this... I guess I hope the Padrรฉs win. ;o)
      Sorry Gal! BUT.....Who knows what can happen in a ballgame. ๐Ÿ’ฅ ⚾

      Delete
  2. #7 Every once in a while I hear someone or hear something that triggers a memory of her.
    It is hard sometimes even after 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a person will always miss someone whom they loved so much. I hoped that after a time, my mom died suddenly in her sleep in 1984,it would be easier, and it really was, until my daughter died.
      Now it's a daily struggle but I do expect that, over time, that wave of sadness will smooth out on the surface of my soul. I wish you Peace in all things my friend.

      Delete
  3. Your answer about remembering voices got me thinking about it. I can sort of remember an impression of how people sounded, but I can't really hear the sound of their voices any more. I think it's a wonderful gift that you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy, music was a gift my grandfather gave me. He trained my ear. He really was a good guitarist and singer himself, and he would play almost every night but particularly on Fridays.
      I'm sure I'm not alone in this ability, and I actually hear them.
      It's a form of recall that lets me hear, again, the singing of one particular bird, or a performance of an Opera where the Diva sang an Aria that was very impressive, or my grandfather singing for his grandchildren in the mellow light of Grandma's little Parlor.
      But Good God, does it make you miss them all the more...

      Delete
  4. I like that you can still hear the voices. I can, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful thing, isn't it. But it can make you sad, too.
      I'm sniffling as I type these answers, and DH just asked me how I was doing. ๐Ÿ’”
      I just remind myself that they are very near, just not in this dimension.

      Delete
  5. Very interesting that you can hear voices. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may remember them in dreams though. Those voices are inside your brain, and may come out in dreams. It helps, I think, that I have a very quiet life now, almost monastic. It’s peaceful and unhurried, usually.
      Teachers have to always be planning and analyzing, like a parent. In quiet moments, you may remember... ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

      Delete
  6. You Californians and you lack of respect for the holidays that keep us boring midwesterners looking forward to the next change of seasons/clothes in the closet/ food to eat...... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do, don’t we?! So naughty of us.
      But we have only two seasons, and sometimes only one! Like now, for instance. So, we never put winter clothes or summer clothes away. Tomorrow might be only 65-70*๐Ÿ’จ☃️๐ŸŒจ and we’ll need that down jacket. ๐Ÿ˜‚ Tomorrow may be 90 and we’ll need to put on a swimming suit! ๐Ÿ„๐Ÿป‍♀️

      Delete
  7. You have chocolate every morning! I am so envious. I've been trying to give up chocolate. Lost about 14 pounds so far doing it but it's quite a sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, congratulations on the weight loss. 14 pounds ...That’s significant!
      As to chocolate, I needed it more than I needed other sweet things so I gave up most all the other stuff. I eat three squares of of dark chocolate from a Trader Joe’s big bar each day. And I have a little honey in plain yogurt from time to time. One thing that helped was that I’ve lost my taste for sweet things other than fruit, and don’t sweeten my tea.
      Keep on with your plan..it’s working well!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..