"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Saturday 9: Gidget? Just when did that happen? 😉

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme.
 
Saturday 9: Gidget (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Gidget was a sitcom that ran only one season. Have you ever seen it?
No, though I do like Sally Fields.  I was busy that year with two babies under 2.  And, we didn't watch TV because we didn't have one. Frankly, Mr. Z and I were so busy we didn't miss it at all! 

2) Gidget is a high school student who is more interested in surfing and boys than in the books. When you were Gidget's age, was your top priority getting good grades? Or were you more involved in the social side of student life?
Getting good grades.  I knew it was the best way to get out of the poverty that we always lived in, what with my hyper violent father, and all.... 

But, I was given some big dreams.  One of my mother's wealthy Aunts (that side of Mother's family, though selfish, was extremely wealthy) had promised to send me to college.  Well, that didn't happen.... 



I still think she meant well.  She probably just went gaga like the rest of those old aunties. 

3) Gidget's father was nearly always unflappable when it came to his daughter's high-spirited shenanigans. Who is the coolest, calmest person you know?
My mother was pretty much unflappable.  She nearly cut her finger off one day.  She said, "oh no!", quickly wrapped her hand up in a towel and ran to the neighbor's house to be driven to the hospital. Also, 
Mr. Z is quite calm, too.  He helps me get my feet on the ground when I'm "UP" to "there"... or even "OUT" there......


4) Gidget spends as much time as she can at the beach, hanging out with her best friend Larue. Fair-skinned Larue doesn't share Gidget's passion for surfing and prefers to stay on the beach blanket, wearing a floppy hat that protects her from the sun. Are you a sun worshipper? Or, like Larue, are you careful about your exposure to the sun?

Now?  Very Careful.  I was in the sun constantly when I was younger.  I love the Pacific Ocean and was in it, or on it, as much as possible- and practical...

5) Gidget, the quintessential California girl, was created by Freidrich Kohner, an Austrian-born screenwriter. Can you think of another Austrian import?
 Once upon a time, a lot of glassware was imported from Austria.  I don't know if that's still true.  But, I'm pretty sure it is, the quality stuff anyway.   Mother had a few pieces from a her paternal Grandmother but they are gone, "down the river of no return". 

 
6) Howard Greenfield and Jack Keller wrote this week's Gidget theme. They also wrote the 1960 hit song, "Everybody's Somebody's Fool." When is the last time you felt foolish?
 Yesterday morning, Friday.  I knit too long on Thursday, and hurt my wrist. I should know better than to do that!  
LINKED Good Site for Free Patterns


 7) This is the show that introduced Sally Field. She went on to win two Oscars and four Emmy Awards. When you think of Sally, what role comes to mind?
"Places in the Heart".  I also liked "Norma Rae"  I've always loved the way she could really BE the person she portrayed. Not that many actors can do this. 


8) Today Gidget is a grandmother. Sally reports that her grandchildren especially enjoy "sleepovers at Granny's." Where were you the last time you spent the night away from home? 

In Santa Cruz, but that feels just like home to me. 

9) Random question -- Describe your perfect lazy afternoon.
I have to laugh at this.  These days, I pretty much have nothing else BUT lazy afternoons.  

But I'll play nice....  
It would be to go to Shelter Island in the afternoon, have a little picnic, then sit and watch the sailboats run their Beer Can Regatta, or the big ships come in and out of the harbor until late evening. Some of them are HUGE..
An Aircraft Carrier is in the distance along the horizon....
 
I used to like to bird watch here too, as it's a great place to see many seabirds, but, of course, mostly Sea Gulls and Terns.  But there was an injured Pelican one year.  I called Wildlife Rescue and they sent someone who caught it.  It had a very large fishhook embedded in it's wing.



 And,
I like to stay really late, at least I used to.  Now that I'm old, not so much. 

Old School panoramic of the mouth of San Diego Harbor near sunset.

If you would like see other participant's pages, or to join in on the Saturday fun with Crazy Sam, go HERE for the Linkie

 Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Your answer to #2 reminds me of Little Women. Remember rich old Aunt March? Her nieces were barely scraping by and she was sitting on all that money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember that, in Little Women. And, to my knowledge, it's pretty typical of relatives who can turn a blind eye to need in the rest of the world; they do the same within their families. Mother's certainly did. Her parents were both dead by the time I was 12, so she was adrift. And, so were we...

      Delete
  2. I still think of Sally Field as that teenage girl and here she is only one year older than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah... so true, but know the feeling. I am just a four years older than she is but missed her early career completely!

      Delete
  3. I hate that your aunt dangled that carrot in front of you and then didn't follow through. I've seen my husband disappointed by family so often or see the scars from what they did or didn't do when he was growing up. It's good, though, that you got past it and can see your aunt in a favorable light.
    Your lazy afternoon sounds heavenly! I love being near water...ocean, lake, river, it doesn't matter.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Families can be pretty cruel to their own. It can ruin lives. It's happened twice in my life...but I digress.
      What my mother's aunts did to her was unsupportable by any standard. She was sent here when she was 19, because an "unsuitable boy"- and an Italian to boot - was whom she wished to marry.
      Her Dad,normally very kind - may God Rest his soul - sent her out to live with his rich and snooty sisters in California. From then on her little life was hell.

      Delete
    2. PS. Actually the only reason my "almost father" was "unsuitable" was that he WAS Italian. You'd think people would learn? Duh!

      Delete
  4. Hope your wrist isn't too badly hurt and that it gets better very soon. I used to love to knit and do needlepoint, but the fingers are just too arthritic now.

    I think your perfect lazy afternoon definitely sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good wishes. I'm really sorry to hear that you had to give up knitting and needlepoint. Alas, the hands are more mortal than the rest of us sometimes. and, hopefully, the mind lasts the longest! heehee

      And, I am now well. I won't push the knitting so heavily. I'm trying to make up for a pair that went to the Midwest to a friend who gave a generous donation to the cause. So, I'm trying to get back up to the count for the end of July, i.e. a half dozen pair by September.
      It is a lovely place to go on a lazy Wednesday afternoon. That's the only day the beer can regatta runs. It's a highlight!

      Delete
  5. I think watching boats would be a fine way to spend an afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, CountryDew.

      Reading and enjoying some tea in the afternoon is great, too. In fact, I'm glad that this is something to do, here. Books make our worlds go round. And tea is nice, too. Peace is being at rest, with a book and tea and cookies. You break cookies in half and all the calories run out, you do know that? :o)

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..