"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

What do the Pirates eat? Sunday Stealing, "Food, Glorious Food!"

Food, Glorious Food!

Hi! I'm your host Bev Sykes of the blog "Funny the World". . Welcome to Sunday Stealing.

This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. (Past hosts include: Our first - Judd Corizan, Mr. L, Kwizgiver and Bud)  

Cheers to all of us thieves!

Here are some food questions from Swap Bot

1.  Do you like pie?
Pie is my favorite dessert.  I like to make meat pies, too, but not for dessert, of course.
2.  Italian or Mexican?
Yes, please.  
3.  Can you bake? If so, what are your favorite things to bake?
Yes, I do like to bake.  I made my first scratch cake when I was 8, and I was Hooked. 
 Bread used to be my favorite thing to bake.  I baked all our daily bread until we moved to San Diego.  I like to bake anything and everything.  I made my own tortillas and other breads for years and years, even after the  twins were born.  
Random factoid: We took 12 dozen tortillas on a long camping trip once.    
4.  Do you use cook books or do you try to find recipes online?
I no longer do any of the cooking except for holidays, but when I did, I used my recipes and cookbooks and some of my mother's recipes.
5.  Do you own a kitchen aid mixer?
Yes, but oddly, we only got it after the kitchen remodel, and after I had stopped baking.  I need to reassert myself in that Realm.
6.  Ever cooked a meal for more than 15 people at one time?
Yes, used to do that quite often.  It was fun to do!
7.  Do you like hospital food?
Hospital food is quite bad. ๐Ÿ˜œ The only good hospital food is the catered stuff that is available to the semi secret "Special Wing" at most hospitals.  Hospitals won't do that for you or for me, but you can't expect, say,  Tom Cruise or some random Billionaire to eat what the peons eat, can you?
8.  Favorite fast food restaurant?
That would be Point Loma Seafoods
9.  Any picky eaters in your family?
Not a one in our family.  I have seen it in other families, though.
10.  Soda or Tea?
I like tea and don't like very many sodas.  Really good Root Beer and Ginger Beer, though, I do like those.  Does that put me in the picky eater category?  
11.  Hot chocolate?
I don't like cocoa.  But I do like the kind of hot chocolate you get in Europe.  Only I've only had it once or twice.  Someday I'll learn to make it.
12.  Favorite holiday dish?
Corn bread stuffing.  I love that stuff- with gravy.  I see that you already asked about dessert and, it's not really a dish anyway...
13.  What is the most tasteful strangest looking thing you have ever tasted?
It was some sort of fruit, or melon.  It was Dragon fruit.  I like Cactus Pears and it's about the same thing.
14.  Fries or tater tots?
Fries, but, oddly, I do like me some very crispy tater tots.  Probably because I don't know what's in them.
15.  Do you like cheese? If so what kind?
I like them all.  And, yes even Limburger.  My half German grandfather gave my mother a taste for it, and she passed that love of Limburger on to her kids.  This factoid was something my second grade teacher didn't believe at all and chastised me roundly for "lying about" in front of the class.  More fool her!  
16.  Home made or can soup?
I made most of the soups my family ate, except that Progresso soup was progressively a favorite soup, too.  It traveled well when camping out.  We did as much camping out as we could.  Cheap vacations.
17.  Do you like to eat out?
I do occasionally like to eat out. Yes   
18.  What kind of food is popular where you are? (Like in Alaska it is seafood)
This is a seacoast city with HUGE Italian population so Italian food is popular here, and so is  Mexican food ( or if you will....Tex-Mex... )because, well, 170 years ago this WAS Mexico.
19.  Do you like cotton candy?
Yes, but that's really random, you know?  I've always wished for a machine in the kitchen that would spin sugar, easily....
20.  Turkey or Chicken?
I like chicken.  And, it's a meat that we can get that is organic and humanely raised.  I don't really like meat but I now must eat a little bit.  So that was the compromise.
21.  Hamburger or tuna helper?
Not on your life!  The food industry has a hulluva lot to answer for.
22.  Raw or cooked veggies?
Both, I like vegetables except for one, and it ain't okra because I like that one.
23.  Do you like salad? If so, what is your favorite kind of salad?
My favorite is something that we make at home.  It is a build your own green salad with grilled chicken or albacore, pine nuts, cranberries, sliced cucumber/celery/onion, and Greek olives.  Tomatoes sometimes.  Alas, this year our "crop" failed to plant itself.  The volunteer grew happily enough for itself in the shade, but only produced one pathetic little tomato with a soggy bottom.
24.  Favorite pizza topping?
Real Mozzarella, mushrooms, fresh garlic and black olive.
25.  Do you like meat loaf?
Only if it's made like a Wellington.  I used to make that dish - delicious stuff!- and the kids loved it. 

And now, for something completely different:
MUD PIES
PS to Bee.  I have pictures of yours and Elle's mudpies, but The Dayamm Google won't cough them up!  @$%#*&

If you want to join in the fun or read other offerings, go HERE


Special Note to Lady Beverly author of this meme.  
I love you, Sister of the Heart, and hope you are on the road to recovery.  MMMMUAH!  ๐Ÿ˜˜ 

12 comments:

  1. Someone gave me a Prickly Pear cactus several years ago (they will actually survive our cold, snowy winters) after I tried the fruit from theirs and liked it. We ended up getting rid of it, though, because somehow you didn't even have to actually get near the darn thing to end up with it's spines stuck all over you.

    It's funny that we all mention Progresso as our canned soup of choice and yet Campbell's retains the larger display in every grocery store I've ever been in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you have mild winters, it can grow there. It grows in the mountains in the west, and even in the deserts of Utah where it gets frosty.
      We have two HUGE Opuntia, Prickly Pear, cacti, and get lots of fruit. I tried to make jelly one year but the juice didn't have enough pectin. Oh well! It smelled and tasted good, so I kept some for sauces.
      And Progresso has really good canned soups, but they don't have the clout of Campbell's for product pushing in grocery stores, who actually have a pecking order of display space that food producing companies jealously guard.

      Delete
  2. 12 dozen tortillas? Were you feeding a Girl Scout troop? Gosh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so much fun!
      There was just my own troop! It was a three and a half week trip, six people, no bread store in sight. Tortillas were the best bread-ish sort of thing to take... Happy Sunday, CountryDew.

      Delete
  3. We had dragon fruit in China. Weird fruit with almost no taste!
    I used to make all of our bread too,until the kids left home and I realized I was the only one eating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are weird fruit aren't they? Cactus pears are sort of that way but they actually do have a nice taste and smell.
      Another Bread baker! Wasn't it fun!?
      I still miss making bread an awful lot. I could still do it, but it's lots easier to just buy it. My wrists would be a problem now, too, because they are not nice to me from time to time.

      Delete
  4. I need to do this...since it's all about food and I'm trying to not eat and lose weight! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! You are back blogging again. ๐Ÿ‘ Squeeeeeee! ๐Ÿ’ž and you have a new puppy! I'll go catch up and yes, please, you should do these two memes and an occasional Thursday13. I don't do much else these days but these three I truly love. I speed dial through Pinterest, too. And Instagram

      Delete
    2. Yes! I'm, at the moment, soooo confused with blogging. (not the action of, but how to 'follow', watch for comments like these, and G+) I want ONE place where I can follow, know where there are new posts, and respond 'neatly'! I would never have know this comment unless I had purposefully came back to this post! Any hints? I miss that one Newsfeed!

      Delete
  5. How do you 'steal' without the black background..I even tried from yours and the questions had black background. (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok. Well, I copy and then paste into account notepad like app on my pc. Then I copy it that into blogger. If your PC is running a Windows OS it should have some small utility like notepad built in. Text me if this is confusing.. Ill walk you through it.

      Delete
    2. Account = a. Sometimes I hate kindle word correct. It's totally stupid.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..