"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Did I just sleep through the 80's or what? Saturday 9



5) Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the "wife" in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan?

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 

Want to see other posts on this Saturday 9?  Go here

Saturday 9: Along Comes a Friend (Theme from Kate and Allie) (1984)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is the theme from Kate and Allie, a sitcom that ran from 1984 to 1989. Were you a fan? 
No, I don't even remember it at all.  I was shell shocked, throughout much of that time, and the ten years after it, and we did a lot of rockhounding with our club which more than likely saved my sanity.  Rockhounding was the best fun I've ever had, post child rearing.  This is what I was told, early on.....
How to know you've become a rockhound You fill a pocket full of marbles, and go on a collecting trips, and every time you pick up and keep a rock, you toss out a marble.  When you've lost all your marbles, you know you are a rockhound. 
2) The show was about two divorced women who live and raise their children together. Were you ever a single parent? Were you raised by a single parent?
That would be a "No"  to the first question, and a, "SADLY, no", to being raised by a single parent, only one of whom could have done the job..my mother.  My bro and sis feel this way, too.  
Our father was worthless.  I just wish my grandparents had been alive.  We would have gone to live with them.  I'm certain of it.

3) Allie is proud that she can make a perfect cup of coffee: "Just the essence of the bean. No acidity." Kate is proud that she can belch the alphabet. What are you proud of?
My kids.  They are making it through this life, growing as good, honest people, and they are doing it in a very tough world.

4) Kate and Allie share half of a duplex in Greenwich Village. Many episodes had them doing laundry in the basement. Where are your washer and dryer?
They are in an addition I asked for, when were expanded the house.  My then Bro in law built on a laundry/pantry as part of a big room addition in the 70's, so as to get those two big, noisy machines out of the end of a tiny kitchen.  They took up one whole end of it.  And, since I had no built in dish washer, the lumbering portable dishwasher had pride of place on that end until we built one in ourselves a few years later.


And many years, decades, later, we built the new kitchen.
5) Kate was played by Susan St. James. She was familiar to viewers as the "wife" in McMillan and Wife. Without looking it up, do you know who played McMillan?
No, sorry, I just don't know..  I really didn't watch network TV much after 1971, except for reruns of "M.A.S.H." and that lovely, madcap "Major Dad".  We watched KPBS nearly every evening, however.

6) Allie was played by Jane Curtin. She was one of three women in the original Saturday Night Live cast. Without looking it up, can you name the other two?
No, sorry, I can't.  I haven't a clue....  But, I can guess that one of them was Gilda Radner.  To me, she was one of the most natural comics I've ever seen.


From THIS place

7) On the set, Jane Curtin ran a poker game for the cast and crew. Do you think winning at poker takes more luck or skill?
Poker has to be a LOT of skill, remembering what card's are discarded, card counting, watching for "tells", and all that.  There may be some "Luck of the draw" maybe, but after that.. mmmm  I'd say 90 % skill, and that's why I can't play it.
  
As you well know, there is just no substitute for Dumb Luck!
Dumb luck

8) The Kate & Allie theme was co-written and sung by John Lefler. Years later, Mr. Lefler wrote the theme for the Pokemon show. Is anyone in your life into Pokemon?
Not that I know of.  We do like to go GeoCaching.  

9) Random question: What's the last thing you whispered?
I just whispered, "Whaaa-aaat the hay?"  at this question.  And, of course, that replaced any other thing I might have said, in answer to this query.  

19 comments:

  1. So true about dumb luck! I think I've gotten by on dumb luck most of my life.

    I love those kitchen cabinets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we should start a Dumb Luck Club! Dumb luck is what you have, like Bad Luck, because if you didn't, you'd have no luck at ALL!
      Thanks about the cabinets. I need to go wax them some day soon. If I'm lucky, I can start on one end and little by little get to the other end in time to do them all over again. *winks*

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you got the kitchen you wanted! Being happy in your home is so important.

    OK, I'll bite: If you never watched SNL, how do you know Gilda was naturally funny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the kitchen. The old one rotted off the walls on one side, literally, which made me angry so I made sure we built a kitchen that was spectacular. I designed it with the help of a very good contractor.
      About Gilda Radner... she had a life outside of SNL. And the only reason that I know about her at all is from those times. She made the world a better place for others. She was hilarious, so sweet, and she cared about people. She will be, forever, young....

      Delete
    2. So you must have seen her interviewed then? Or read her memoir? Because outside SNL, she made movies that were, sadly, very bad. And she never had another TV show.

      Delete
    3. I didn't see her interviews and no, I've not read her memoir. I didn't even realize she wrote one. It don't know exactly why I took an interest in her but I did. She was so ill with a disease that killed her when she made her last film, that I'm not surprised it affected her judgement. People don't realize that a person starts dying of cancer long before it's diagnosed. It's sad to say, but a person's brain suffers even though doctors have always maintained that the brain was impregnable. It just isn't so.

      Delete
  3. Other than by you, I've never heard the term "rockhound." Your description today tells me I might be one at heart. I've always picked up pretty or interesting stones everywhere I go. My grandmother taught me to do it on our walks and my kids used to do it...I think they have their noses glued to their cell phones too much to look down these days.
    We have a friend with that skill at playing cards. Is that what they call card counting? He always knows what cards you need or will be playing. It's rare that we win against him.
    Your kitchen is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks about the kitchen. I waited DECADES for that kitchen, so I made sure it was one I wanted. They also finished off a stud wall that I had lived with for all that time, and that they made it an archway into what was the tiny dining area of the kitchen.
      Well, if you lived in the west, you couldn't toss a pebble without hitting a rockhound. And, your state, Pennsylvania, has the oldest rocks on Earth. Pennsylvania is (was) at the heartland of Pangaea. Be Proud! 💪
      Poker: Your friend is using a form of card counting, and he's probably a pretty good mathematician. I'd bet he also has an excellent memory for all the cards discarded, and can figure out quickly the odds that you, or anyone else at the table, has a certain card or not. Since it's a hand building game, he knows many of the cards that you already are holding. I may be missing a factor here but you have a good idea of how this is played out when you play a game with him.

      Delete
    2. Decades?? Yikes! I'm so glad you have it now. I hope I don't have to wait that long for my bathroom to be finished.
      The heartland of Pangaea...I guess I kind of knew that but never thought of it that way. Cool beans!
      Yes, our friend knows what's been played, what is most likely in your hand, what you need.... Playing with him is frustrating and he'd probably get in trouble for card counting in Vegas.

      Delete
    3. Yes, decades... I have a picture of it with a quilting buddy and I in front of it in the 80's. The kitchen was done this century. lol

      Ah, your friend is just Very Very good at Poker, and he's got a phenomenal grip on the odds of the game. They wouldn't bother him. There is nothing wrong with a good memory in Poker. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful kitchen cabinets. I'm so sorry to read about your Dad. How sad. Sounds like you have managed to raise kids you are proud of. That's definitely something to be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nonnie. 🙏 That kitchen is pretty special. The contractor was very skilled, and it's a joy to behold after decades of living with a mess, that's for sure.
      Though I misunderstood the question, I'm glad to have had the chance to tell who I am most proud of and why. They are tough little survivors who have kept their sweetness.

      Delete
  5. Hey Zippi, I like that kitchen. I wanted to be a geologist once, when I was small. Your story about the marbles reminds me of the time I gave both of my parents bags of marbles for Christmas. They were in the process of divorcing/not divorcing and driving one another crazy at the time. When they opened their marbles, they looked at each other, and I said, "You both seem to have lost yours, so I bought you replacements." They did not think it was funny. I thought it served them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny, CountryDew! And, of course, sad, too. *sighs* My mother would have lived longer if she'd have divorced that useless man. His second wife, an idiot who just wanted his pension, really EARNED that money as he also drove her right into the ground... I could write a book.....

      Delete
    2. I think you'd have had fun as a Geology major. You, did, after all, understand trig. Trig factors into a lot of Crystallography, Mineralogy, and a couple other sciences that are integral parts of Geology.

      Delete
  6. I am absolutely fascinated by your Rockhound experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Kwizgiver... I'm glad that you like them. I'd like to write more about them and will try.
      They were good times. Climbing up and down the landscapes 🌋 and 🌲 🌲 Camping out ⛺️... Cook outs 🌭 ... Digging⛏ ...IDing🔍 and making lovely silver jewelry 📿 ....watching the stars for alien ships 👽 ...

      Delete
  7. I would love to update my kitchen. It is stuck in the 1990's as it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you can do that. Don't wait until you have to threaten a luddite with bodily harm. heehee

      Mine was stuck in 1959. It was pretty horrid when it finally started, literally, falling off the walls.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..