Something DifferentWant to play along? Go HERE...
It's fun and you could get addicted.
Now for something different. I hope you'll find it fun. Pandora has been doing Sunday Stealing for years, even though she's in Australia and can't relate to many of the questions, so I invited her to submit an Australia-related set of questions. She checked these with friends and says that Australians could easily answer them.
Many of these you won't be able to answer, but give it a try--and understand how Pandora feels! (I printed all of them because I figure you'll skip many -- feel free to check Google and learn some new things!)
1. Where to you land on the subject of vegemite? What is the optimum butter/vegemite ratio?
I've been warned by several Aussie pen pals to NEVER eat Vegemite. I have, therefore, no experience with ratio's but I would do 100% butter. Would that work?
Do you also eat Promite or Marmite or do you see these yeast spreads as something akin to treason?
Only if Trump had to match my eating of Marmite, would I do this, either. You mentioned Treason, you see....
2. Who was your favourite Prime Minister of the last ten years? (There have been five – choose wisely) ummmm.... pass
3. Are you a Monarchist or a Republican? Why?
I'm totally for the Monarchy. Because I would rather have a Queen than a jumped up Republican who thinks he's a King. Maybe he's a closet Queen? Hmmmm
👀 Oh Snap.. This is about Australia... nm
4. What do you think of our current head of state?
Anything has GOT to be better than what we poor cousins across the Pond have. But I hear that you have an Azzhat, too. Mon Dieu! It must be the Universe... Our system is approaching a black hole?
5. What are your feelings on compulsory voting.
I'm for it. Drag them out kicking and screaming, but Vote they MUST! I wish you luck with that one, mate!
6. What is your favourite footy food?
I'll have a go at French fries and Vegetarian cheese rolls. Can you actually EAT Yoyos? Ooops! Wrong Question!
7. Your Nana is having her 80th catered for by the CWA. What CWA standards are you looking forward to at the spread? The Victoria Sponge? Yoyos? Asparagus Rolls? Brandy Snaps?
Brandy Snaps sound good but I'll go with Victoria Sponge. I watch the British Baking Show and actually know what that IS. And let's have Asparagus Rolls, and is it possible to have that as a Footy Food too? I hopeahopeahope...
8. What do you do on ANZAC Day?
Well, I'm usually celebrating Spring. But, I watch many Australian shows, and I know that is a solemn day when Veterans are honored, so I'll be thinking of you all down under... and sending cyber hugs.
9. Discuss the merits of budgie smugglers.
Well, there aren't any.
10. What is outside your back door? Gumboots or thongs?
Crocs. I have a pair of lime green for the outside shoes.
11. As a kid you were given 20 cents for pick and mix. What will be in your bag? Teeth?
Gob Stoppers, Jaw Breakers if you are old school, which you aren't.
Spearmint leaves? Gobstoppers? Freckles?
Yep, Gob Stoppers.
12. Redbacks or Huntsmen?
I'm going with Huntsmen. I like them and know they can't really kill you, unless you are allergic, which I am. You can't hold that against them though.
13. The Mullet. Discuss.
Just shave it all off you Chicken!
14. Kath or Kim?
Now this I am going to have to look up. I'm guessing these two are News Casters. They aren't two of the Kardashians are they? *shivers*
15. Cricket – which code do your follow? Why? Do you think that 20/20 games are sacrilege?
I think Cricket itself is a sacrilege, and it's about as good as watching paint dry, but no worse than an American football game, once described by a visiting Russian as, "all get up, all fall down". I like that tea is served, and that's what impresses me. So civilized.
16. Football. Which code do you follow? Do you have an opinion about Collingwood or Essendon?
Well no, no opinion on those two things, rivals, teams, or whatever they are. I refuse to look it up. Having said that I intend to pontificate anyway. I'll go with Essendon, because I like the word. Collingwood sounds stodgy. Too English. Besides as far as codes, I follow the code of the Wild West, shoot (off your big mouth) first and go look up the answers later.
17. Do you agree that the lyrics to Khe Sahn should be on the citizenship test? Do you know the words to Khe Sahn?
I know what Khe Sahn means to Americans.
In the spirit of truth, Yes to the first, and No to the second. And, having looked up the lyrics, it's Hell, no to the first as well. Too hard a look back to the dreadful, troubled past for everyone involved in that Mess. I wish Kennedy had lived, he was going to pull the troops (advisors)out of Vietnam. God, I think I need a big long vacation in the back of beyond.....
18. What is your favourite public holiday? If you're in Victoria, which do you prefer? The day off before the AFL Grand Final or Melbourne Cup Day?
I'd have to say AFL day. I like to watch Footy on the telly from time to time.
19. What do you do at Christmas? Ham sandwich on the beach? Seafood and salad next to the pool? Endure a full English roast with all the trimmings when the thermometer is pushing 35 degrees centigrade outside?
We have a sort of full on English roast, but not the roast.. A turkey or ham. Fourth of July, in the Northern Hemi summer, we have hotdogs at the water's edge and potato salad with a watermelon for dessert. That's when you probably have nice warming foods. It's a funny old Round world tipped on it's side, init?
20. Ford or Holden?
Henry or William?
21. What is the best Australian invention ever? (And yes, the Hills Hoist can be mentioned)
Ummm sorry, I don't know.. But there is this musical instrument that I've played once. I'd love to have one.
22. Describe the following: Sorry, NO, I will not... I'll just tell you what I think they are, without looking them up. K?
Fairy bread Some sort of stringy fungal growth on bushes that is edible and tastes sweet.
Lamingtons Baby sheep
Chiko rolls Chicken, deep fried and rolled up inside of pastry.
Snot blocks *shudders*
23. What are the following traditional items found in all Australian homes?
Dead horse Something from the Shed, Fred?
Hills Hoist Sort of a block and tackle thing for raising the water table?
A slab a side of bacon, at least that's what it means in the States. Hmmm, read ahead abit and it seems to be a side of beef or something.
A ute I've seen them in Australian movies. A snub-nosed little utility vehicle, and they are darn cute and I wish that we could have them here, too. I want one!
24. Who is your all time Australian hero?
Sorry I can't think of a single one without looking said person up.
25. Translate the following: “Strewth! Nev was going flat out like a lizard drinking. But he had a nana nap and he's raring. Told him to get here pronto by not to miss the gate cos it’s impossible to chuck a u-ey for miles. Told him to bring a slab. We’ll have a barby. The kiddies can have snags. Joe the Pom will moan about everything. Jeez, he’s a bastard. Yeah…nah… no flies on him."
"It's the truth. Nev fell down flat as a lizard when he got drunk. But he took a nap and is Gung-Ho to go and up on his hind legs again. I told him to get here really fast, like NOW, and not to drive through the gate because he'll be so far out in the back of beyond that no one would hear him if he yelled. Told him to bring his own meat, and we'll BBQ it, and the kids can have the left overs. Joe, an off worlder, and will start his non-stop complaining, such a bastard, Nope, no, he's always a step ahead.
26. What is your favourite Australian holiday spot?
All Americans want to go to a Town Called Alice, you know that.....
27. Do you eat the coat of arms?
I wouldn't. No..
28. You are stuck in a lift with the following: Karl Stefanovic, Peter Dutton and Alan Jones. Who do you kill last?
I don't know who they are, but I'd just meditate unless one of them was really smelly! Then I'd have to scream and cry a lot.
29. What is the NBN?
No idea! Newt Benevolent Network?
30. “Where the bloody hell are you?” Discuss.
It's a sort of "Get your dumb a** over to my digs, man!"
31. Complete the following sayings.
Am I ever going to see your face again? Not if I see yours first.
You're terrible, But I'm worse!
Coupla days, I reckon.
32. Potato scallops or potato cakes?
If potato cakes taste like hash browns, then I choose them.
33. Provide three uses for cane toads.
Food for a little snake that loves them, target practice, Leather industry
34. If you give a politician a koala to cuddle, what is the likely outcome?
I'll take a stab.....It would climb up his face and shite on his head.
35. Bagpipes are perfectly at home in rock songs. Discuss.
I like bagpipes and I do not want to talk about it.
36. What is a Tim Tam Slam?
No Idea but is it anything like a Shandie?
37. If I ask for a FruChoc, where am I from? B. What are FruChocs?
You are from Melbourne and you are crazy.
B. They are a hybrid drink of Mango juice and Kahlua.
This was fun! Can we do it again!? Can we do it again!?