Saturday 9: It Must Be Him (1967)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
Want to see more responses to the Meme? Go here
1) This song is about a woman waiting impatiently for a phone call. Do you consider yourself patient? Yes, I do.
2) Other women (most notably Shirley Bassey and Dottie West) have recorded this song. Harry James and Doc Severinson did instrumental versions. But there's no record of a male singing "Oh dear God! It must be her! Or I shall die!" Do you think that's because waiting for the phone to ring is more "a chick thing," and men simply don't do it?
Men usually are the ones who instigate things, and especially when the song was written. I know men who would DIE rather than to sit around listening for a phone to ring. So, No...
3) This recording enjoyed a sudden surge of popularity after 20 years when it was included on the soundtrack of Moonstruck, the 1987 film that won Cher an Oscar. Have you seen Moonstruck?
I own the movie, like it, and have watched it many times. Maybe it's time to watch it again. But it's on VCR.. 😢
4) This week's featured artist, Vikki Carr, was born in El Paso, TX. El Paso can proudly proclaim itself one of America's safest cities. What can your hometown be proud of?
I actually have no true Home Town. After the paternal unit was deployed, Mom moved in with her parents and I was born; but all three of us moved out to California when I was 2. Maybe Alhambra is my "home" town?
5) She was a staple on Jerry Lewis' Labor Day Telethon, raising funds for the Muscular Dystrophy Association by performing this song. Is your TV on right now? If so, what are you watching?
It isn't on. I don't watch anything this early unless it's something dire. This was typed at 8 am on Friday...
6) In 1971, Vikki fulfilled a dream of hers by establishing the Vikki Carr Scholarship Foundation. Every year the foundation awards Hispanic American students money to use toward higher education. She says it's her way of returning "the support and encouragement she received from others" early in her career. If you could establish a charitable foundation, what cause would you like it to benefit?
Like Vicki, I would establish a fund for children, to make sure that they were supported in their goals, re: Education or trades. America WASTES it's children's lives with it's collective stinginess. Higher education is just one more victim of an increasingly elitist society.
7) In 1967, when this song was popular, Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed the first heart transplant. Today, one of the most common surgeries performed in the United States is the coronary artery bypass surgery. Have you had any surgeries?
Yes, and, at nearly 76, I've had my fair share of them.
8) Also in 1967, the RMS Queen Mary was retired after 31 years of service. Have you ever traveled by cruise ship?
No, and I would much rather not be on a cruise ship. Too BIG!
I'm a sailor at heart, and always wanted to sail around the world in a Sloop or a something like that.
9) Random question: Who is your oldest living relative?
Blood relative? I don't know. But I do have an in-law who is a whopping 100 years old.