"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, December 29, 2018

Saturday 9...Winter Wonderland. Herb Alpert...


HERE is a link to the Saturday 9 Web page for this day...  Come on over and play....

Saturday 9: Winter Wonderland (1968)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Welcome to the last Saturday 9 of 2018! Thanks for a great year, everyone.

1) This is an unconventional take on an old familiar song. Over the holidays, do you prefer traditional carols? Or do you like to mix it up with with more contemporary fare?
 
I don't actually like the Tijuana Brass, so if that's contemporary, I'll take the old stuff.  I love the old choirs and stylizations. But I do like Tony Bennett and also, love to listen to Choirs and Carol Singers...And ANY carol played on a guitar.

From HERE
2) Now that Christmas is behind us, are you enjoying a relaxing week? Or do you have socializing/celebrating/chores to do?
I caught up on chores and read a couple of books. Haunted Pinterest a lot.  Bird watched on social media, and watched some British home improvement shows.  I also sat around eating Christmas fudge and knit a tiny bit on a Short finger glove.  My thumb is toast.  But, since I'm still recovering from an eye operation, my sore thumb must wait.

 
3) Winter is a time for cocooning. What book or movie did you enjoy in 2018 that you would recommend to your fellow Saturday 9-ers?
Southern Californians don't really cocoon, but reading is a great escape anywhere.  

I just finished a book that I can recommend that is about the mystery surrounding the deaths of nine Mountaineers in Russia in 1959.  Dead Mountain, by Donnie Eicher.  Here's the Wiki link
 
4)  Looking back on the past year, what was one of your happiest moments?

We took a trip up to Santa Cruz and spent time with our kids there.  I'm happiest there....

5)  What was the smartest thing you did all this past year?
I quit doing my blog for several months, and joined a few bird watching groups on other social media; it has helped me to quit caring about a lot of other stuff.  May they burn in hell.... ahem... *blushes*  Gee, I still DO care... hmmm?????

 
6)  As 2018 comes to a close, what are you most grateful for?
The passage of time, and it's amelioration of the terrible pain of loss. 

 
7) This week's featured artist is Herb Alpert. Because of the style he popularized and the name of his band, people assume he's Hispanic. Yet his parents were Jewish immigrants from Romania. What's something we'd be surprised to learn about you?
After my doing this meme, and others, for so long, I really doubt there are any surprises left.  There were n
o surprises in the DNA other than a drop or two of Neanderthal.  But everyone has that.  

Hello brother and sister Cave dwellers!  
 
Read about a terrible problem for them HERE
As an amateur in this science, I will go back to my training in Geology and Anthropology to suggest that one neanderthal's DNA sample does not make a case for any real hypothesis or extrapolation for an entire race.  
And, in another area: I think he's cute enough to tempt a homo sapiens female.  Especially if he was gentle and kindly.  Let's hear it for the hairy men! 

8) He performed an instrumental version of "The Star Spangled Banner" at Super Bowl XXII. How did your favorite sports teams do in 2018?
I don't follow Sports anymore.  If I did it would be a soccer team;  or a basketball team, probably the Lakers.  I LOVE basketball. 

 
9) Random question: When did you last check your social media feed?

If Good Reads counts as social media, then it was just a few minutes ago, for the book info.  Is blogging social media?  Then, this is the last time.. 

Tata til Sunday! 



15 comments:

  1. I am so happy you were able to go to Santa Cruz! Anything that makes you happy. I loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. It was so good to spend time with our kids.
      I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year! Enjoy the new week and the New Year's eve!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Zippi! You've been missed.
    "But everyone has that..." Sort of like old Genghis Kahn, a huge percentage of the population has some of his DNA.
    Glad you got to go spend some time with your kids!
    Hoping you have a blessed and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy. Yes, and the vikings.. We can't forget them! Them Vikings got around, too! DH has the viking blood in him..a great, great grandpa...
      Isn't it great to know that at least some of your ancestors didn't wipe out another race of peeps who were also your ancestors? I'm speaking for myself here. Part of me hates the other parts because they were such brigands. lol
      Happy New Year Stacy! 🌟✨⚡️πŸ’₯ And thanks.. blessings never hurt, so I'll send some back to you.

      Delete
  3. I don't like the Tijuana Brass Christmas music; it just doesn't sound like Christmas music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It doesn't sound that great to me, and it certainly doesn't sound like Mariachi music, which I do like a lot....
      Happy New Year, my friend.... Celebrate! 🌟✨⚡️πŸ’₯

      Delete
  4. "Amelioration" is a great word, and yes, time can be our friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that word and waited several years to be able to use it. Actually, it is related in some way to Emollient in my mind and heart, so it's something I never forget. It's an attorney's word.
      Time is definitely a friend.. Hope you have a Happy New Year's eve, and a great year. 🌟✨⚡️πŸ’₯

      Delete
  5. I have added Santa Cruz to my bucket list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Kwizgiver! 🌟 ✨ ⚡️ ☄️ πŸ’₯
      And, yes, you should see all the coast if you can. Maine and California share seacoasts that are both beyond gorgeous!

      Delete
  6. Loved your DNA discussion. I was also really impressed with all you've been doing until I realized that was within the WEEK, not just the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked my hairy man appeal. And, it's not the Wonder Woman role for me quite yet, to get all that done in a day. Happy New Year, Bev! 🌟 ✨ ⚡️ ☄️ πŸ’₯

      Delete
  7. I can't believe you went to Santa Cruz without inviting me again..lol. One day we will meet there.
    Happy New Year Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Harriet! And yes, how rude of me not to tell you to meet me in S C! Let's aim for June of 2019? It's warm without being too hot.

      Delete
  8. So glad to see you posting, Zippi. I was going to hunt you up just to tell you Happy New Year and was glad to see you on the meme list. I hope you are doing better and I hope 2019 brings you some joy and a little love. Best wishes to you always.

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..