"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, November 30, 2019

Saturday 9: Beatles: Baby's in Black

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!
[Go HERE to the Mother Blog, to see other posts, or join the linkie]

Saturday 9: Baby's in Black (1964)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 From our archives.
 

  1) Black is this week's signature color because Friday was "Black Friday," the day when retailers cut their prices and consumers flock to the stores. Did you score any "Black Friday" bargains?  
No.  We happily don't need anything.

2) Feasting and football are also popular Thanksgiving weekend pastimes. Do your Thursday-Sunday plans include pigging out or watching a game?
We had Thanksgiving dinner at a family member's house, and some of us, I among them, watched part of one game.  Then we ate a normal dinner.  I loved talking to my nieces and their friends, and other family members.  The festivities have ended. So it's "Onward to Christmas"!  

 
3) At Thanksgiving dinners, Crazy Sam's homemade gravy is always a hit. (Probably because she's so generous with the cognac, which gives the gravy a nutty taste.) What was particularly delicious at your Thanksgiving table?
The cranberry sauce, the stuffing and the Pie!

 
4) Among the biggest the Black Friday advertisers are Target, Kohl's, Macy's and Best Buy. If you could have a $100 gift card to any one of those stores, which would you choose?
Target, hands down.  They have more of what I'd want.

 
5) This week's song, "Baby's in Black," is about a girl who wears black because she's in mourning. Do you find that the color you're wearing reflects your mood?
No.  I look best in Black.

 
6) The woman who inspired this song, Astrid Kirchherr, has been friends with Paul McCartney since he and his bandmates (John Lennon, George Harrison, Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best) met her in Hamburg back in 1960. Tell us what you believe are the components of a strong, lasting friendship.
Gentle rather than rigid (Holier than Thou?) Honesty, Humility without subservience, a sense of ironic humor, and being able to express genuine affection for animals and people.  I generally get along best with people who have these qualities and have made good friends with those who have them.  Flamboyance is ok, too.  I mean not if they strip in public or anything, but a little bit of it. heehee

 
7) In the early days of the Beatles, Paul McCartney and John Lennon began writing a play but abandoned it. Do you have a novel, painting, play, song or poem that you're going to finish "someday?"
I have written song lyrics and poetry, and have many, many finished paintings in my head. Yes, it can be done.  I enjoy composing impromptu lyrics and music. None of it will ever see the light of day.  My daughter's horrible disease, and demise, just took my small connection to my Muses away.  The kids will find them - my many, little whispers from the Muses....

 
8) When he was 16, George Harrison dreamed of moving to Canada, Australia or Malta. In just a few years, he would visit all those places with Beatles and eventually decided there was no place like home and stayed in England (though he did also maintain a home in Hawaii). Have you ever thought about moving to another country? If so, where?
When I was young- a teen- I wanted to live in the South of France.  After I was married, my hubby and I wanted to buy a sailboat and sail to the Islands in the Pacific.  These were strong desires but things arise over which we have no control.  What is that saying, the one about Life being what happens while we are busy making plans?  That bloody, damn Vietnam war just gutted our generation.  I know a lot of people who had this happen to them.  And for what.  War, What the Hell is it good for?  Absolutely Nothing, Say it again!



 
9)  Random question: Finish this sentence -- If you want me to give you "yes" for an answer, the best time to approach me is Never.
  (I just don't like the sound of this; it sounds a little sneaky or something... lol)  I really hope someone else has a better answer. 



Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
 

15 comments:

  1. Your "many, little whispers from the Muses...." I bet your kids will treasure them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gal. I'm thinking it might just confirm my insanity but by then I'll be gone and un-commitable. ;o)

      Delete
  2. Oh, you are so right about the war in Vietnam! I truly enjoyed your answers. The death of a child is unlike anything else you can go through. It changes us dramatically. I hope you have a good weekend and a wonderful holiday season ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viet-Nam was an inherited war, and I think Kennedy had it pegged pretty well. It was a Civil War and we needed to keep our big noses out of it.
      Thank you for your kind thoughts. Losing a child, and some in here have had to bury more than one, changes you forever. I know it changed my own mother forever.
      Thanks for the good wishes for the holidays, and I'd like to wish them back for you. Sail on Silver Girl.....

      Delete
  3. I like your description of a friend. I'd just add availability, but perhaps as I get older that one won't be quite as pressing.

    I need to see Gulliver's Travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Availability would be a definite asset in a friend. Good call. I think that a person always needs to have at least one friend who is available. One never knows what is just around the corner in this life, and friends certainly are important in times of trouble.
      Gulliver's Travels is a "kick in the head". Think I'll look for it somewhere, too. Jack Black is a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  4. I always loved that anthem (War). Absolutely nothing. What a waste. Great answers this week. I am truly sorry for the loss of your child...I can't imagine what that is like for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is the reason I was born, I think. So much to be said in song. "War" is Electrifying!
      ------------------------------
      Now I will RANT.. feel free to ignore it..
      Thank you about my girl. She was an amazing kid. She diagnosed herself but this crap medical system that came out of the bone-headed Republican controlled Congress put "Paid" to Laura's Life. I could write a friggin' book about how much it hurts people like Laura who worked for companies that already had an insurer. She was told by her doctors under that healthcare system that she couldn't POSSIBLY have what she had, she was TOO YOUNG. Guess what. Now, since about a year ago, the guidelines have been changed because so many young people were dying! Anyway, sorry for the rant. But thank you again. May it NEVER happen to another young person.

      Delete
    2. Or even an old person.. What was I thinking?

      Delete
  5. "After I was married, my hubby and I wanted to buy a sailboat and sail to the Islands in the Pacific."
    That also was my dream. I used to buy Sail magazine and they had stories of people who sailed around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all Sailors at heart then. That is really cool!

      My hubbies' father owned a boat building business so we are/were pretty well into the culture. I loved sailing, and our first date was on to take a sailboat out on the harbor at Newport.

      Delete
  6. I am glad you have little whispers from the Muses and I hope they return to you, and their voice is a caress to your soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such sweet and heartfelt wishes. Thank you so much, CountryDew. 🙏

      Delete
  7. Your friend description made me smile...the "not if they strip in public" part made me laugh. Great answer for that one! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lari, I'm glad it made you smile, and the proviso made you laugh! I was trying to think of a downside to friendship and hit upon that one!
      Have a great week! Merry Merry! I love Christmas time, too.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..