"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Saturday Nine: No More Tears

Want to play?  Go HERE

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


 No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This lyrics use weather as metaphor for romance. Here at Saturday 9, we're more literal. How do the skies look where you are this morning?
This is being filled in on Friday afternoon.  Another RAIN Storm is, maybe, blowing in off the Pacific, and I couldn't be more pleased.

 
2) According to Merriam-Webster, "enough is enough" is what you say when you want something to stop because you "can no longer accept or deal with it." When did you recently say -- out loud or to yourself -- "enough is enough."
Political Sh.. stuff.  As one of my friends said of Nixon and Watergate: "I can't wait for the body count to go higher. "

 
3) Grammy winner Luther Vandross began his career as a background singer and performed on "No More Tears." Tell us about one of your early jobs.
When I was 11, I marked layouts, worked building walls, and later on when we got more experience we nailed off roofs, shingled then or laid in tar paper for rock roofs,  did clean up of job sites as well as putting in the stranding for drywall (to insure that it was set high enough to allow for flooring to go in later).  After that I worked on job sites with my brother and dad and built whole houses in the desert for people we knew.  I never had an after school job other than baby sitting for neighbors.

 
4) Both Donna Summer and Barbra Streisand made slight changes to their first names. Summer was christened "LaDonna," while Streisand's parents spelled her name the more conventional "Barbara." When she was in high school, meme mistress Samantha Winters went from "Sammy" to "Sam." Did you ever make a similar change to your first name?
I was sometimes called Lenny in High School. 


5) Hair was higher maintenance in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Streisand and Summer are both sporting styles that would require chemical treatment, like a perm or relaxer. Today's looks are less rigidly styled and tend to be smoother or slightly messy. How often do you change your look?
I habitually grow my hair out long and then chop it all off into a short Bob when I get tired of it.

 
6) In 1979, it seems every kid was asking Santa for Star Wars toys. Some things don't change, since the Star Wars franchise remains popular with children and toymakers after more than 40 years. What book or toy did you love as a child that remains popular today?
My brother got all the neat toys.  He got a dump truck and a fire engine, and we had a lot of dirt to build cities in so we both played with his toys.  I got a typewriter one year.  I was in HEAVEN!

 
7) Thinking of things that endure ... In 1979, the #1 show in the ratings was 60 Minutes. It's still on, every Sunday night, and in the summer of 2019 it came in at #4 in the Nielsen ratings. What's the most recent show you watched? Was it news, sports or entertainment?
Entertainment.  I do NOT watch the forking news.  And Sports?  Nah.  Mr. Z is not any sort of sport nut or I reckon I'd be knitting to baseball or some such.  Basketball and Soccer, both of which are fast paced, and something I like to watch, I cannot knit to...

 
There are now online groups who de-tangle yarns for people.  

That yarn above is so gorgeous!  Now I want some of it.
 
8) In 1979, the price for a dozen eggs averaged 85¢. Today, it's about twice that. Are you more likely to use eggs to prepare a main course (like an omelette or Eggs Benedict) or as part of a recipe (anything from a cake to a meatloaf)?
We've had Omelettes for dinner.  I like that a lot but it doesn't happen often enough.  

 
9) Random question: You’re alone in your car, driving through your neighborhood on a bright, sunny day. You get a flat tire. You have a spare and a jack in your trunk. Would you fix it yourself or call for help?

Through my neighborhood?  I can change it myself -  if I had to, but I'd likely walk home and call Triple A.  After all, it's a lot safer to have someone with a fully charged Impact Wrench come out and change it.  That's what road service is for. Whee! 
That close to home I'd just call Mr. Z who would then, undoubtedly, remind me to CALL TRIPLE A!


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

14 comments:

  1. You had a very cool job!!
    I can't imagine knitting to sports either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and I learned how a framed house is built. It was the only time that our dad was a halfway decent parent, was when we worked with him.
      Knitting to sports would be a disaster to me. I'd have to rip it all out again, every last stitch.

      Delete
  2. Wow. That sounds like a pretty tough job for an 11 year old. I always liked the toys the boys got better, too. Have a wonerful Saturday, Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started out at 10 and 11, doing pick up/clean up,sweeping the sawdust, and hauling equipment back and forth. We also got the tiny job of putting in those stringers for baseboards. As I/we got older we learned to frame, build window frames and doorways, and how to measure and cut rafters, ceiling joists and how to sheath a roof. It was good working with my brother. We got pretty close.
      I always liked my brothers trucks they were so neat! Thanks Stacy for the good wishes. I hope you have a good Sunday, even though you have to be at work. May it feel like a blessing.

      Delete
  3. When I was going off to college my father bought me a typewriter but much to my dismay he got the smallest type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I feel your pain. I don't really like elite, but love Pica the best. Someday I may actually get my hands on a Pica machine!
      This is an interesting site:
      https://www.creativebloq.com/typography/free-retro-fonts-2132019

      Delete
  4. I eat eggs often for dinner when I am alone. My husband doesn't like breakfast at dinnertime, but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like to eat breakfast foods for dinner. Dinner is too heavy for me, frankly. Omelette's are Just Right!

      Delete
  5. I should look into the detangling group. I've learned to LOVE detangling. There's something soothing about it. Especially if it's nice yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked like a fun idea...
      My sister and I would sit and detangle together. It is really fun, and, as you say, soothing. We had our practice detangling gold chains from jewelry snags when we were working together. Yarn is a darn sight easier!

      Delete
  6. That is great experience you had with your dad and brother. What a neat job! Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori. It was the only time that our dad treated us like we weren't a burden to him. We got paid a pittance but still, it was more than baby sitting which in my time was 25 cents an hour! Imagine!
      Thanks for the good wishes. Hope you have a great Sunday as well!

      Delete
  7. I remember feeling so grown up when I got my first typewriter. The N fell off. I worked around it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that ungrateful key! But you showed IT who was boss! 😂
      Mom somehow got me a used office typewriter and how she did it, I’ll never know. This was WAY before Craig’s List or even Swap-meets.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..