"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, January 29, 2021

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy ...

 

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every

Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

 

Unfamiliar with this song? Hear it here.

1) Bette Midler sings that the bugle boy wakes up Company B every morning by playing reveille. What awakened you this morning (phone, alarm clock, sunrise, etc.)? Or did you wake up on your own?  Our little dog is getting frail.  He wakes me up by Crying because he thinks he's alone, as he can't see in the dark.  Or, he does this because he wants a drink of water.  It happens every morning between 3am and 5am.

2) This single was produced by Bette's arranger/piano player, who went on to have a successful singing career of his own. Do you have a favorite Barry Manilow song?  I guess it would be >"Mandy".  I'm not much of a fan except that he could play really well and wrote this lovely song.  The only one I remember.

 3) Bette was named after Bette Davis. Her sisters, Susan and Judy, were named for Susan Hayward and Judy Garland. So now we know who Mother Midler's favorite actresses were. Who are yours?  My favorites are, Cameron Diaz, Bette Midler, Glenn Close, Sandra Bullock, Meryl Streep, Charlize Theron, Cate Blanchet, Emily Blunt, to name a few,

4) Bette has been married since 1984 to artist Martin von Haselberg. She was 39 years old, already a star, and had never married before. Yet within six weeks of meeting him, she was so sure Martin was "the one" that they tied the knot. Have you found that love takes time, or, like Bette, have you fallen in love quickly? I knew right away.  Right away. It took Mr. Z a little while longer to know. It's the only time I ever thought, "this is the one".  Of course, I was very young and hadn't met a lot of people.   Soon I knew this young man was a gentleman.  Pretty hard to find in those roaring 60's.

5) When their daughter Sophie was growing up, it was Martin who taught her to cook. What was the last thing you prepared in your kitchen? Did you use the microwave, stovetop, convection oven, blender, coffee maker ...?  The last thing I made was too long ago.  Mr. Z has gotten pretty territorial about the kitchen.  I'm about to elbow my way back in to it.  Be warned. He's kind, and is only thinking of my safety, since I fell in there and blasted my shoulder, memory, and elbow into oblivion in it. 
 
6) Bette says that listening and compromise have been the key to their happy marriage but adds, "Compromise is hardest of all." On what have you compromised recently?  My compromise?   I've decided to let the Big Dogs hang someone out to dry.  Hang onto your hats folks, it ain't over 'til it's over.  An ex-Russian spy just stuck his head around the door.

7) Bette and Martin have a farmhouse in upstate New York. She enjoys feeding the chickens (whom she has jokingly named The Kardashians) and puttering in her garden. Do you have a green thumb?  I used to.  And I will again.  I don't like not having a garden and I intend to rebuild that sucker...

8) In 1973, the year this song was popular, actor Neil Patrick-Harris was born. He's best known as Barney on How I Met Your Mother, which ran from 2005-2014. Were you a fan? I only vaguely remember something called that and have no idea who the actor is. 

9) Random question -- How often do you put crackers in your soup: Always, often, seldom or never?  I never do now that I don't eat Lipton soup from a packet.  I was a kid that last time I did that. 

 Readers:  If you want to see the other Saturday 9rs answers, go HERE

Thanks Sam for another fun Saturday 9!  


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 

18 comments:

  1. Emily Blount is very talented, isn't she? I just recently saw her again in The Devil Wears Prada and I was impressed again by her way with a line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "The Devil Wears Prada"!! and Emily B. is one of the actors in another motion picture I am mad about: "Into the Woods" with Meryl Streep. It's fantastic! Emily is deviously funny...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, songbird. We are starting to have those, "discussions", and really don't want to have to do anything but love him, and care for him until we both can take him to is last visit with his vet. Only one of us is going to be allowed in with the technicians. It sucks..it really does...

      Delete
  3. Our dog that we had when I was little had my father trained pretty good. My father used to get up at five and let him out and have his breakfast ready when he wanted to come back in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so funny. And so true!

      You do know that a dog, like a little kid, trains you what to feed him or her by throwing up on your feet, anything he or she doesn't want to eat. Kids and pets.

      Delete
  4. You might want to look up Neil Patrick Harris. He's *insanely* talented! He does comedy, scored a hit on Broadway in a musical, played a tragic part in "Gone, Girl," and even does magic. He began his career as a kid, playing a teenage doctor on Doogie Howser, MD. I guess that makes him one of the child stars who didn't end up a cautionary tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do this, Gal! Kwizgiver and you both recommended him to me. And, yes, he's come a long way from Doogie Howser, MD. I love the way you phrased that, "one of the child stars who didn't end up a cautionary tale".

      Delete
  5. I haven't thought about those Lipton soup packets in years. Do they still make them? They were a big part of my college diet. lol I had a little electric hotpot that I could boil water in and stir up some soup any time I wanted. It's sweet that Mr. Z has booted you from the kitchen to take care of you and protect you, but probably frustrating for you. My friend is in a big boot and can walk, but is supposed to take it easy. Her husband has taken to doing EVERYTHING for her. She's going nuts. I hope you and Mr. Z can find a compromise. Have a wonderful day, Zippi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy. I haven't had any lipton soup in a coon's age, but they might make something like that still.
      Well, your friend in the big boot is going to be REALLY happy to be out of that thing but may have to have little skirmishes with her hubby about taking back over things. I am starting to fight back. lol Hope your week has been kind and full of merriment. Stay safe. There are a lot of variants out there.

      Delete
  6. I always have outdoor flowers in the spring/summer and fall and they do pretty well. I kill indoor plants, I really like to have alive things in the house (house plants), but I haven't done well lately. I will have them again some day. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what goes down the tubes when women go to work. And house plants are one thing. I don't think they (house Plants) like it quiet and no one to hum little tunes,and fuss over them. Plant researchers are saying that house plants are a lot *smarter* than humans give them credit for. Very interesting field of study, that botany.
      Thanks for the good wishes, I think they last all week. Lovely!

      Delete
  7. I am trying to entice my husband into doing more of the cooking. He had to have learned a few things cooking at the firehouse, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You would think that, wouldn't you?

      Hopefully he will start thinking, "well, I make a pretty good Stew' (or whatever fireman eat) I hear they bake amazing bread! fingers crossed for ya!

      Delete
  8. I think I agree with your husband's reasoning around the kitchen! Since I don't really enjoy cooking, I'd be ok with being forced out of the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, I love to cook and to bake. Grow kitchen gardens and the like. It's the farmer in me.
      I can see DH's point. Because of the fall, but I fell in the garden and wiped out my wrist.
      And, I'm never going to be in there and barefoot anymore. I've cooked in that kitchen for over 50 years, first when it was a tiny incomplete wreck and then for a little while after it was remodeled. I miss making tortillas and also baking too much to yield my argument. lol

      Delete
  9. I'm a huge fan of Neil Patrick Harris--I think you'd like him. He's funny, charming, and super talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll be looking up his stuff then! We all need some levity in life at the moment.
      Thanks!

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..