"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, February 24, 2023

Saturday 9 -- Mahler: Symphony No. 8 (1968)

Mahler: Symphony No. 8 (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it HERE.

1) Mahler's No. 8 is sometimes referred to as "Symphony of a Thousand" because it was scored for a large orchestra and choral force. Do you often listen to classical music?  I mostly listen to classical music.  I love most musical genres but Classical is my favorite just ahead of Folk ballad style, Western Ballad, and Rock and Roll.  I sing along with it all. 

2) This piece has solos for each of the main vocal ranges: soprano, alto, tenor, bass. Do you know which range your voice is in?  Not anymore.  I used to be a Coloratora Suprano, but now I'm probably a Metzo. I hardly sing anymore when there's anyone around; yes, it's now that bad.  Pneumonia does some damage to your breath control, and age will change your vocal strength, and control.  I do whistle a lot.  Does that count? 

This lil gal is from HERE

3) Historians tell us Mahler kept fit by swimming and riding his bike along the Alpine trails. What's your favorite form of exercise?  Ocean swimming, boogie boarding, body surfing, and Cycling.  All, obviously in the past. 

4) Mahler could be difficult to work with because when it came to his music, he was a stickler over even the most minor details and wouldn't give an inch. Would you rather work as part of a team or on your own?  My paid jobs, my work, was mostly in schools, or retail sales, and I did enjoy working with people.  I also worked for 8 years as a carpenter, and it was fun partly because of the crew members/the people I worked with.  So, team I suppose ......

5) This week's featured artist, Leonard Bernstein, said his father didn't want him to pursue music. Instead the elder Bernstein wanted his son to either join the family business (a beauty supply company) or become a rabbi. Did your family try to influence your choice of career?  No. Not at all.  The Desert and the Mountains, and the rocks out there in that big world influenced me more than anything else.  I also was a very good artist, and thought it would be my career.  That changed when I realized I'd most likely have to teach it to make any money. 

6) Bernstein's best-known work is West Side Story. Without looking it up, can you name a song from this beloved Broadway classic?  "America"  I love it, love it!  I can still hear the group, girls led by Rita Moreno,  singing the version in the movie from way back.  This is not what I remember, but it'll do:


Fighting is alright in America! 

7) Born in Lawrence, MA, Bernstein "went home" when he performed with the Boston Symphony Orchestra at Tanglewood in Lenox, MA. Tanglewood has played host to a variety of musical artists. In 2022, Ringo Starr, Bonnie Raitt, and James Taylor all performed there (with James Taylor scheduled to return this summer, as well). What's the first concert you ever attended?  My first concert was at UCSD and was Janis Joplin and her band.  

8) In 1968, when Bernstein released this album, a sitcom called Mayberry R.F.D. premiered. It was a spin off of the highly successful Andy Griffith Show, which ran from 1960 to 1968 and is still broadcast and streamed today. Were you an Andy Griffith Show fan?  I've always loved Andy Griffith but didn't watch his shows.  I'm glad to hear that someone has thought to put his shows up somewhere.  I'll watch anything if it is NOT on commercial TV, because I cannot stand commercial TV. 

9) Random question: When people ask for your advice, what do they usually ask you about?  Usually it is how to do something in Cooking, Quilting or Knitting or Ceramics, and this last was because I was one of the best decorator/painters in my Ceramic's club.  

Readers, here is the LINKIE to the Home Planet, so that you can see other Niner's posts, and say HI to Sam, our tireless, gracious hostess for Saturday Nine. 

16 comments:

  1. A carpenter! You've got to tell us more about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun. If I'd had a different sort of dad, I'd have got to be an architect. I certainly learned how to build stick and stucco houses anyway, from the slab up.
      My brother went into the trades but the home situation was a nightmare for me. I had to get out of it. I still have my old finish hammer for odd jobs around the house. Maybe I will feature it in a later post. Not sure where the framing (wafflehead) hammer got to, but my brother probably lifted it. lol

      Delete
  2. #2 -- I'm in awe. Not only have I never been able to sing, I can't whistle. And look at you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Shucks. But..... Kiss me! I'm (Scot's) Irish!
      I am also Welsh on my maternal ( grandma) side. My Mom was a great whistler, and she and I sang all the old tunes together from Benny Goodman to the Andrews Sisters, and Glenn Miller, as she had the records. Grandpa had us singing from practically before we could talk.

      Delete
  3. You have lived such an interesting life. You should write a book about it. I would read it. I've always loved your free-spiritedness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind to say so. I'm beyond writing a book anymore because nearly everyone else who knew the old days has moved on to .. well I hope to Heaven. We can have a real Hoolie up yonder in the Great "By and By". Y'all come!

      Delete
  4. #3 Ditto All of mine are in the past!
    #7 College was also my exposure to concerts, I wish we had Janis Joplin concert at college.
    #8 I only watch shows on PBS now and classic TV shows. It seems to me that the shows now a days have too much blood and guts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about #8 ... We watched PBS nearly exclusively when the kids were home. Now we watch streaming and man, that stuff is pretty bloody!
      And, yes, The past is so LONG and the future is .... well.... you know.
      The concert Janis gave was at UCSD, and because DH was a student at SDSU at the time, he could get tickets.
      It was absolutely the best one I have ever been to. Almost all acoustic, and just brilliant players. She was, and always will be, my favorite song writer. Such a shame.

      Delete
  5. Janis Joplin, that is so cool! Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed. Very cool. Have a nice week Lori. See you on Saturday!

      Delete
  6. Janice Joplin. Must have been a great concert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Plus it was in a small venue and quite intimate.

      Delete
  7. OMG, you saw Janis Joplin in concert. I can't believe I "know" somebody who actually saw her live!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that OMG feeling. I can't believe it sometimes how much of an Iconic Moment it was going to be. She was an amazing gal whom I wish could have solved her problems and lived to enjoy her life. She was living in a very fast lane, that one.

      Delete
  8. You were at a concert of Janis Joplin? Oh my!!! She was sooo goood! And I still stop everything when I hear her. No matter how far away... I hear her!!

    Enjoyed reading your answers. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Syl! She is still a favorite of mine. I just wish she would have been happier and stayed around longer. She could really write em....

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..