"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Friday, August 4, 2023

Linda: Saturday 9

 


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Readers:  here is a Link to Sam's Blog so you can view the whole list of Niners


Linda (1946)  

1) In this song, Buddy Clark sings that when he can't sleep he doesn't count sheep, he enumerates Linda's charms. Did you sleep well last night?  

Well, I slept as well as I usually do, which is to say that sleeping for old gals is fraught with many things so we get to take naps the next day. 


2) In addition to singing with big bands, Buddy sang commercial jingles live on radio programs and was the voice of Carnation Milk. Can you think of a jingle that's stayed in your head?  

Oh!  Yes, it finally popped into my head.  It's the one for Mission Pac Fruit gifts that my sweet mama sent to her snow bound relatives in Ohio.  It's still in my head.  The warning is that if you listen to it, you may never be able to get it out of your head.  So bloody TRUE!  I've never forgotten it.



3) For "Linda," Buddy Clark performed with bandleader Ray Noble. Ray was classically trained at London's Royal Academy of Music, but much preferred big band music to that of Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. When did you last listen to classical music? 

I listen to it every day.  It's on my iPod and we listen to the songs on that while we do jigsaw and crossword puzzles together.  There is a lot of other music on the pod but we play classical at least half the time. 

4) Composer Jack Lawrence named this song after a particular little girl, the daughter of his lawyer, Lee Eastman. Without looking it up, do you know what became of Lee Eastman's daughter Linda?

If Linda didn't become the wife of Paul McCartney of the Beatles, then I have no idea what became of her. 

5) According to the Social Security Administration Linda was long one of the most popular names for American baby girls. It was #2 in the 1940s and 1950s (second only to Mary). By the 1960s it slipped to #7 and by the 1970s it fell to #68. Are there many Lindas in your life? 

Not any more.  My best friend in High School was named Linda.  I have No idea what became of her.  Last time I saw her she was pregnant with her first child, as was I.  She probably has 15 great grand kids by now. lol

6) 1946, the year this record was released, is regarded as the first year of the Baby Boom, which lasted until 1964. Are you from The Silent Generation or are you Boomer, a Gen-Xer, a Gen-Yer, or a Millennial?

I'm a war baby

7) In the summer of '46, hats were a standard part of any woman's outfit. Hats for day, hats for evening, hats for rainy days ... The 1946 Sears Spring-Summer catalog devoted nine pages to women's hats. Do you own many hats? If yes, for what occasions do you wear them?

I have sun hats and knitted winter hats.  And one flowery wide brimmed hat ringed with Red silk roses one that I still wear from time to time. 

8) Also in 1946, the Mensa Society was created. The only qualification to join was an IQ in the top 98th percentile. Do you know your IQ? Yes

9) Random question: Tell us something you admire about your best friend.

My best friend I admired for her calm ways and gentle council.  She is no longer alive. 

Thank you, Sam, for this great meme on a Saturday.  It's always a lot of fun. 🌸

11 comments:

  1. Yes, Linda Eastman became Linda McCartney. I used to love my iPod and its playlists so much! I quit using it when I stopped commuting to/from work because of covid back in 2020 and I'm not exactly sure where it is now. "Gentle council" is a great phrase, and that's a lovely way to remember your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gal. I was pretty sure she was. I read about her some time ago, a long article about them, as a family, who kept a sort of gentlemen's farm and sheep. It was cute and poignant at the same time.
      About iPods. They are so small! I've had to really FOCUS on not losing this one like the first generation one I had.. it's in the house somewhere, and it's now obsolete, so I don't mind. It's to bad we can't "call them up", or put them on the "Locate my device" list.

      Delete
  2. I have a whole wardrobe of winter hats--various colors and weights. But I don't like wearing hats. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you do. LOL...Hat's flatten your hair so I understand. I have very thin hair now as I approach the 81st year. So, it's some hats for me now. I've yet to make a hat for myself but have one made by one of the kids for me. I was so jazzed to get it!

      Delete
  3. I don't wear hats anymore, which is a shame. I used to love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you will try to get some use of your hats. With the sunlight getting so harsh, it's a very good idea. I've had skin cancers on my face and now I wear a hat nearly all the time when I am outside.

      Delete
  4. My mother wore hats and I always liked hats, but it's almost impossible for me to find a non-knitted hat that fits my big head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bev. Men's Western hats might be a solution. Or.... Maybe you could wear some of the oriental hats? I have a couple that are very good sun protection but right now they are part of my dining room wall decor. Lol

      Delete
  5. You're welcome Lori. I'm a long time fan of the Beatles so read a lot about them through the years. But Gal, now there is a FanGirl! heehee. You gotta love her for it. Hope you have a lovely week end and something cool to drink and eat and float round in. bathtubs full of cold water are great!

    ReplyDelete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..