Saturday 9: Working My Way Back to You (1966)
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) We're celebrating the last holiday of summer with The Four Seasons. Which season is your favorite?
I like what the Aussies call The Wet. That's what we get in SoCal. The Wet and The Dry, and currently we are getting way too much of The Dry.
2) Before they settled on The Four Seasons, they called themselves The Four Lovers, The Romans and The Village Voices. If you were/are in a band, please share the name. Or just make up a cool name for your pretend band.
Not having ever been in a band, it's hard to even think of a band name. How about "Grannie and the Screechers"? We'd definitely have an accordion player.
3) Lead singer Frankie Valli has occasionally fudged the year of his birth. Have you ever lied about your age?
I never had any success lying about my age. Since I wasn't allowed to wear anything but lipstick until I was away from the paternal unit, I looked like a nerd for way too long.
|Usually, it was a textbook full of Dinosaurs.|
4) Frankie Valli, Frank Sinatra, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen ... New Jersey has given us many music superstars. What is your state known for?
|THE GOLD RUSH.. WE'RE FAMOUS FOR THAT.|
5) In 1965, Frankie was arrested in Columbus, Ohio. But it wasn't his fault! The bandmate he trusted to pay the group's hotel bill neglected to do so. Tell us about a time when your trusting nature got you in trouble.
I trusted that I could tell the truth and never be punished. It worked at Grandpa's house, but then, unhappily, we didn't live there anymore.
6) Clint Eastwood directed the movie version of the Four Seasons biography, Jersey Boys. What's your favorite Clint Eastwood movie?
I knew there was at least on Clint Eastwood I liked. It's, "Pale Rider".
Since Labor Day is the holiday established to celebrate the American worker …
7) According to the U.S. Census, more and more Americans are working from home. Are you one of them? No, though I used to. I don't sell at shows or on the web anymore. I can no longer stand the work on my hands, or the pressure to produce on such a scale.
8) Of those of us who work outside the home, 75% travel to work alone. 15% take public transportation and the remaining 10% carpool. How do you get to your job?
I'm completely retired. So, no traveling. We save all our Gas coupons for taking the RV north.
9) Do you have any big plans for this holiday weekend?
I'm a major supporter of Labor Day but wonder what it actually celebrates nowadays? I have no plans for it. I respect that the day even exists, though it's meaning, like that of its aims, has faded over the last half century.
|Picture Source and a bit of History about Labor Day|
Labor Day still has significance to many of us who watched through the decades as things changed, and then were degraded in the 1990's.
In the late 1940's, a lot of people got bloodied when Industry and Governmental resistance to Labor having organizing rights brought out things called "goon squads" and the National guard. It was worth the fight. It enabled wage earning workers to buy houses, let one parent stay home and raise their own children, and to send those kids to college. For all this, I respect Labor Day.