"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Thursday, September 22, 2011

License to Freedom


Rather than continue to rage against the machine that we ALL know is running (and unfortunately ruining) so many lives, I'd like to introduce you to one of our local feminine heroes.  Let us celebrate the beautiful Souls that walk among us!
 
This amazing woman has been in our city since around 2002.  A few years ago, May 18th, 2008, an article about Dilkhwaz Ahmed ran in our local paper.   I had saved the article and came across it while cleaning things in my sewing room.   I don't often save articles from that paper.

It was about "License to Freedom", the organization she directs but in particularly it was about how License to Freedom was helping women to rebuild their lives once they arrived in San Diego.   The organization provided crisis intervention, self-sufficiency programs,as well as advocacy for refugee and immigrant survivors of family violence.

I admire her so much. To me she is a Hero for the Planet, though she would never, ever, see herself this way.

Let me introduce you to Dilkhwaz Ahmed, a Kurdish woman, and scholar, whose organization promotes Azadi, meaning "freedom", to so many newcomers to the United States.  Hers is an organization that celebrates Freedom, in all it's full and beautiful range of meanings, for our sisters in this life.


The poster on the bottom left (that my scanner cut off) says, "Violence doesn't mean love in any language."

At the time of the article, she was not united with her husband, though her children had finally arrived.  Now I am very happy to know that her husband has finally been granted asylum in the United States, and has been re-united with his family.

You can read her biography HERE and read about License to Freedom's award winning program at the web site.

http://www.licensetofreedom.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..