"When I tell you something is dangerous, I mean it. And, I never forget the Victims"
T.J. Hooker
"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
”I had given him a life not worth living, but I had also given him an iron will to live. This was a common combination on the planet Earth”
Kurt Vonnegut about his character, Kilgore Trout.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Saturday 9!

Join in HERE
It's lots of fun! 

Saturday 9: Beyond the Sea (1959)

Bobby the Wonderful Darin!  Yay!

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song mentions golden sands. When do you think you'll next visit the beach?
It will be soon.  We live quite close, and the summer crowds are mostly gone.  "Goodbye and thanks for all the Cash!"  Even though I personally didn't get any of it.


2) Shortly after "Beyond the Sea" hit the charts, Bobby Darin  met and married movie sweetheart Sandra Dee. Her squeaky-clean image is spoofed in the song, "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee," from Grease. Can you name another song from Grease?
Not off the top of my head.  I've never even seen the movie,"Grease".

3) Years earlier, Bobby had an ill-fated romance with singer Connie Francis. According to Ms. Francis, Darin wanted to marry her, but her father forbade it. Have you ever had a relationship that your parents disapproved of?
Wow, I would have thought that Connie Francis would have been well out from under her daddy's thumb by that time.  Anyway, to answer  the question, yes.  But only The Psycho-dad disapproved. But, :p to him, with a little Italian salute.

4) Bobby was a Renaissance man: Grammy-winning singer, Oscar-nominated actor, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer and an excellent chess player. Are you good at chess?
I've tried.  I just can't play that game.  All I can think of is WAR when I do.
 
Therefore, it never gets off the ground with me.  Now, I do love to play Parcheesi.  And Cribbage.  They are very fun and no rough stuff!


5) A car buff, he drove a 1960 custom car that was so unique and spectacular it's now in a Detroit museum. The bright red paint was mixed with ground diamonds to ensure that it sparkled in the sun. Each of the four bucket seats had its own ac/heat control and radio speaker. The steering wheel was slightly squared for easier handling. What features would your dream car have?
It would use nothing but solar power, and be able to reach speeds of 120 mph.  This would come to be because the lost notebooks of Nikola Tesla had been unearthed, and made it all possible.  And I would like my dream car to have dark tinted windows and be metallic-silver with an awesome stereo system.  I don't care if it's small and semi aerodynamic.  I say semi, because one would not want a car going that fast to leave the pavement in tight turns.
 
Sodahead.com
or this one...

6) Beyond the Sea is also the name of the 2004 screen biography in which Kevin Spacey played Bobby Darin. Who would you choose to play you in the story of your life?
To be honest, my story is far too mundane for a screen bio.   No actress worth her salt would want to play me.  I'm one of the lucky humans to have such an adult life because of the "tension of the time" as an old acquaintance used to say.  And I wouldn't dramatize my first 19 years for ANY amount of money.  


7) When he was just 8 years old, Bobby Darin was stricken with rheumatic fever, and the disease left him with a dangerously weakened heart. Did you spend much time in the hospital when you were a kid?
I was healthy as a horse until a real horse threw me and broke my back.  So, I didn't have to be in the hospital as a child, or an adult because I was TOO DUMB to know you could walk around with a broken back.
But, poor Bobby Darin.  Sick little kids are just so darn brave. *takes off her hat to all the kids out there who are fighting every day to just stay alive*
Source page

8) In 1959, when "Beyond the Sea" was popular, Alaska became our 49th state. What comes to mind when you think of Alaska?
You do not want to know.  Trust me on this.  But I am working on it.  All I want to think about when faced with the word, "Alaska", is an image of Mount Denali and/or the park that it's in.



9) In 1959, Conair introduced the first hair dryer developed for home use. Is there a hair dryer in your bathroom right now?
No, and since this is a random marketing question, I'll tell you that I've never had much use for a hairdryer, even in the winter.  It's SoCal after all, and hair driers are for, like, the Arctic.  There is one in the craft room for random jobs, though.  It's very good for crafting and drying just poured ceramic molds.

18 comments:

  1. My father used to play Cribbage all the time with my brother. I remember him sitting there concentrating with his pipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice memory, Diana. Cribbage is fun to play, for me,too. Lots easier than strategy laden chess! Have a happy week enjoying nature and the Cape.

      Delete
  2. I felt bad for Connie Francis as I researched this, for I could find no evidence that Bobby Darin regretted not marrying her. He had a short and very eventful life, and I think it's sad that he's not better remembered today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a great singer, and had a wonderful voice. I think maybe he got shunted aside a little by the American music industry which was moving at lightning speed to catch up behind the Beatles. I'll have to do more research on it.

      Delete
  3. I'm shocked about your broken back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently this happens more often than people realize. I saved my back, by myself, with two years of yoga and ballet. Then after those two years carried twins to term. Neither my hubby nor I can look back at those years without great amazement .

      Delete
  4. You dream car is entirely too small and smash-able for me. Shudder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, i didn't know you could walk around with a broken back, either! yikes!

    i don't own a hair dryer either, but i do have an embosser, which looks like a mini hair dryer, in my crafting area, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an embosser,too. Hair dryers just don't get hot enough. Now there's a hobby I WANT to expand! 😊

      Delete
  6. Orlando Bloom had a broken back just before he did Lord of the Rings, and Viggo Mortenson broke his foot during filming. Just sayin'. No idea why that came to mind other than your broken back, which I am sorry to hear about. Never thought about using a hair dryer in crafts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! But then mine healed up except for a vertebra that still pops out in a torsion ? back ex-ray done in the early 90s. My lower back now looks like a cemented triangle in other normal ex-rays. And now of course it's busy collapsing. I baby and humor it lots!

      Delete
  7. VERY interesting read! I was absorbed by all your fantastic answers. And I did not know you were in SoCal. Did you go to the knitting conference in San Diego in June? If so, I was SO there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd known it was even here. And I'm sorry to have missed your visit! Thanks about being entertained. As you well know, if you don't laugh, then you've just gotta cry! So, like you, I laugh whenever I can.

      Delete
    2. PS to Melanie. I can't seem to comment on your blog. I was sorry to read about your scariest moment. Many Hugs!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Zippi!! Well, definitely, I will let you know if I'm back in SD again. I'm sure it will happen. :D

      Delete
  8. I live in one of those towns that financially depends on a seasonal crowd too. It is really nice to venture out when they are gone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! Then you know that it's just horrible to try to do anything fun until summer is over. The last time we went to Point Loma Fish Market was a mad house! To keep Wolfie from biting children who rushed in on him, I ended up getting bitten. No fun! 😛😜

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..