"Everyone can master a Grief but he who has it”
William Shakespeare
Greed is an incredibly contagious disease 🦠 And, it’s a shame when anyone catches it.
Zippi

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Saturday9: Baby Love, the Supremes.

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Baby Love... The Supremes..

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


*ed's note* - If you want to see other posts or even join in the fun, go here...



1) When this song was popular, the Supremes were known for their elaborate hairstyles, make up and full-length gowns. When was the last time you got dressed up?  

It's been awhile.  Except for funerals, we are a very dressed down sort of family...

2) "The girls," as they were known to the engineers and executives at Motown Records, were Florence Ballard, Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. They began singing together when they were high school classmates. Are you still in touch with any friends from your high school days?
Not anymore.  I've lost touch with them all.

 
3) Mary Wilson was born in Mississippi and her family moved a great deal before settling in Detroit, where she fatefully met Florence and Diana. Were you uprooted often when you were a child? Or did you spend your school years in the same neighborhood?
Often, here and there until I was 5, but the longest place we lived was on Mother's little farm.  We were there from the time I was 5 and we moved away the summer that I was 15.  Schools: I was in K-5, 6-8 and 9-10th grade in L.A. county schools, and we moved away at the end of 10th grade.

4) The Supremes began as a quartet called the Primettes. In addition to Mary, Flo and Diana, there was Betty McGlown. In 1960, Betty left the group to get married and was replaced by Barbara Martin. In 1962, Barbara left the group to have a baby. They quit trying to replace the fourth voice, soldiered on as a trio, and made pop history. Have you ever found yourself in a position similar to Betty's or Barbara's, where you had to make a difficult decision and choose between your personal life and your career?
Oh ya.  A LOT... The biggest blow was when PsychoDad got shot, my little sister went nutzo, and I had to quit UCLA and come home to put pieces back together.  But then later on when I had my own family, too, but much less traumatic.  But I've talked about that before.  One of my dreams was to enter the excellent Geology Dept at San Diego State, which never got past the talking to the Prof stage.  My regrets were that I couldn't earn decent money to help put all the kids though college.  I'll regret that until that day I die. 


5) Thinking of babies and "baby love," is anyone in your life expecting a baby in 2018?
No.  All the Babies are born for now... There may be more in a few years.


6) With twelve #1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100, The Supremes remain America's most commercially successfully recording group, and this song (along with "Stop! In the Name of Love") is one of the most popular karaoke songs. If we handed you the mic this morning and absolutely insisted you perform, what song would you choose (any song, any genre)?
"Ave Maria".  I love it.  It's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.





Maria Callas was my Idol.  I've found that I no longer know this song by heart but I also can't sing very well anymore anyway.  lol

7) Original group member Florence Ballard left the group in 1967. She died of cardiac arrest in 1976 at the age of 32. Since February is National Heart Month, it seems appropriate to ask: Is anyone in your life battling heart disease? 
FROM HERE

Me.  It's not fatal, but one of my doctor's jokingly said, "It's one of those things that only makes you wish you were dead."  We both laughed.


8) Florence Ballard's brother, Hank, wrote Chubby Checker's famous dance song, "The Twist." When did you last dance?
That would be when my niece got married, and a loooonnggg time ago.


9) Random question: Close your eyes and visualize the most beautiful place you've ever been. Now describe it to us.
It is a little river that is in Big Sur.  It's bed is rocky and shallow where it passes along the floor of the valley, and deciduous trees overhang it on both sides, and there are reeds along the verges.  When you hear the water flowing past, it makes a bubbling sound as the river falls downstream to join the Pacific Ocean a few miles away.  I called it Eden.   

Found the photo from when we were there....It's so quiet. Just you and the water and the wind.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

16 comments:

  1. love your beautiful place. If I can't have an ocean, a bucolic water place like this will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some day I hope you get to see it. It was a toss up for this wonderful place or the beautiful Sunset Cliffs down along the Ocean. As you say, bucolic water places....

      Delete
  2. I want to dip my hands in and taste the water. Is it safe to drink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gal, in a word, "No". I don't think I'd even drink the water in high Sierran Lakes, so no. My family hiked Mt. Whitney a few years ago, and all the water was put through filters or boiled.

      Delete
  3. I just went to my 50th high school reunion, one of the things that I noticed was it seemed like everyone with canes played football in high school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say is so true! One of the things that was related to me about a high school football star by another friend of mine was that no one remembered his leg getting broken that one night game, but he had the pain as a constant reminder.
      I really liked him a lot and felt so bad to hear that, but I sure the heck remembered it happening. I wish I'd kept in touch with some of my high school buddies. One, I did, and she and I still keep up with each other. She's my Turkish BFF. I forgot about that one because she wasn't in my graduating class but a year younger.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous photo and description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kwizgiver, and I recommend Big Sur, Mendocino, and the whole Central Coast along Highway 1 as a destination for you when you come to California. Central Coast is the most Gorgeous place.

      Delete
  5. These days few people can afford to send their kids to college without some kind of help. I am so glad to be done with all that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pissed off about what happened to the kids in the 80's. My kids didn't get Pell grants Reagan slashed them. "Forbes" magazine OpEd pieces aside, it was HE who cut them and hurt that generation of kids.
      If we had lost the house and declared bankruptcy, they could have gotten nearly a free ride. I know this because others did just that!

      Delete
  6. That truly is a beautiful place I would like to visit. It is the kind of tranquil surrounding that I so enjoy. You said it beautifully. We stayed in cabins on the Big Thompson River and it was rushing water alongside our cabin on its bank. We drove through the Rocky Mountain forest and stopped along the way by a similar place to have our breakfast.
    we sang ave Maria in glee club.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado is where a lot of my family still live. It is, indeed, very beautiful there. I think you would like Central Coast. The seacoast is spectacular.
      Ave Maria is really beautiful. I sang it in choir.

      Delete
  7. Oh, thanks for sharing that photo and description. It is so beautiful! I have a FB friend who lives in Mendocino and travels the area for his job. He is always posting the most beautiful photos of places he sees along the way. I think I would enjoy seeing that part of California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would, too. It's beautiful there as is all of the coast above Santa Barbara. I wanted to move there in the 60's but instead we went south. Oh well! Central Coast an artist's haven...

      Delete
  8. What a lovely spot. That's a beautiful place to spend some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it, CountryDew. All of Big Sur is like one continuous farming community. There are some very strict laws to keep it that way, too, or else it would end up covered with well, with McMansions.

      Delete

I’m going through some stuff but I will peek in now and then and will be back when it’s over..